Gaumukh Tapovan could be a trek that I actually have done double. Each abundant earlier, once I was younger. India hikes wasn’t however born. On each occasions, the trek fascinated Maine for various reasons.
The first time, it absolutely was the sight of the Bhagirathi sisters lustrous within the moonlight from Bhojbasa. The second time, is used to be older and that is appreciated the trek additional. From Tapovan, Mt Shivling rises from its base all the thanks to its summit. That’s a rare sight — to examine a mountain in its entireness. Then the aesthetics of Mt Shivling itself. There square measure seldom mountains that square measure pretty much as good trying as Mt Shivling. If there was a contest for the simplest trying summits of Republic of India, Mt Shivling would be right there close to the highest. To examine such a beauty from a detailed vary is AN honour.
Gaumukh, the supply of the watercourse Ganga, itself is reason enough to try to this trek. Gaumukh could be a sight on its own. Only if you get near to it does one realize however huge and luxurious the ice mass is! I’m unsurprised usually this can be} the foremost often recurrent trek by trekkers. When you visit, there’s one thing new take back.
Around twenty metric linear unit, before Gangotri, Dharali is enclosed by mountains and Cedrus deodara forests. You keep long at Dharali however the trek begins at Gangotri the subsequent morning. Gangotri is thought because the supply of watercourse Ganga (the actual supply being Gaumukh), that is thought as Bhagirathi here.
It is aforesaid that King Bhagirathi prayed to Lord Shiva for salvation of the souls of his 60,000 sons. Shiva obligated and requested divinity Ganga to unharness her water, that pure the ashes of Bhagirathi’s sons. This mythological story elevated the standing of watercourse Ganga as a method to purify one’s soul.
- Altitude: 10,055 ft. (3,065 m)
- Time taken: 10-12 hours’ drive from Dehradun to Gangotri
- Altitude: 10,055 ft. (3,065 m) to 11,761 ft. (3,585 m)
- Time taken: one hour drive. Trek for six hours, 9 km
- Trek gradient: Moderate. Initial three hundred m steep ascent followed by an awfully gradual ascent all the manner.
- Water sources: Carry comfortable water from Gangotri. You’ll refill your water bottles from streams on the manner.
Start for Gangotri early within the morning we are going to prepare cabs to require you there from Dharali.
The path to Chirbasa goes through a Forest Check Post around two metric linear unit from Gangotri bus stand. A path goes up from the bus stand towards the left aspect within the forest. The path runs on the left aspect of the market space and one will take multiple paths from inside the market to attach with the trail. Walk until you reach the Forest Check Post.
This may take around 15-30 minutes, counting on wherever you begin from among Gangotri. From here, spot a putting white peak within the distance. This is often Sudarshan Parbat (21,345 ft.), trying gorgeous within the background. It lies in a very cluster of the many major peaks. When obtaining the permits checked, proceed on the path that is still on the left aspect of the mountain ridge throughout the day. The Bhagirathi watercourse remains below, forever to your right. There square measure some isolated glaciers on the watercourse that square measure melting chop-chop.
In around quarter-hour, can stumble upon the primary of the many waterfalls and streams that you simply will see nowadays. The path principally has gradual inclines and level walks. Trek for an additional 20-30 minutes and you’ll see another stream gushing below a makeshift bridge. When crossing the bridge, the depression unveil and turns right. Feast your eyes on the many natural covering mountain ranges on the correct aspect of the depression. When twenty minutes, you’ll see the third major stream on your path. Sudarshan Parbat is currently not visible. The path remains consistent for an additional forty five minutes. Now, the trail swirls more towards your right as you cross the third ridge, giving thanks to a wide ranging read of the depression. Enjoys a healthy presence of blue pine and Betula pendula trees around you.
A consistent hike of forty five minutes can bring you to a boulder zone over one in every of the snouts coming back from Sudarshan Parbat. Cross the boulders and hike up for concerning ten minutes to achieve a series of dhabas.
Chirbasa is another quarter-hour away below forest cowl. A special mention ought to incline to chain Environmental Trust, who, beside the Forest Department, are able to with success implement a conversion project during this space. As you pass the check post of the Forest Department, take the path down on your right to achieve the camping area of Chirbasa. Seek for a GMVN hut on tier ground next to Bhagirathi watercourse. Camp here for the night.
Bhagirathi watercourse is to the correct of the Chirbasa camping area. The place gets its name from the Chir trees that surround it. You get clear views of the Bhagirathi peaks from Chirbasa. Conjointly visible within the distance is that the mouth of the Gaumukh ice mass.
- Altitude: 11,761 ft. (3,585 m) to 12,450 ft. (3,795 m)
- Time taken: 3 hours, 5 km
- Trek gradient: Moderate. Initial 100 m ascent to get back on the trail. Very gradual ascent all the way to Bhojbasa
- Water sources: None. Carry 2 liters of water
The depression widens from Chirbasa and offers views of snow-covered peaks. Take the path from behind the GMVN hut. The path connects with the Gaumukh path that extends from forest check post. This section can take five to ten minutes. Once connected with the first path, you’ll be able to see the Chirbasa camping area below. There’s a minor landslide-prone section among ten minutes from now. When this section, the piece of ground is tamed sure sections however is manageable. Seek for the primary ridge ahead towards your left within the distance. It takes around 30-45 minutes to achieve this ridge and cross the bend.
As you trudge through the silent hills, the Bhagirathi peak looms nearer into read. When twenty minutes of gradual ascent, seek for a stream to your left. Another forty five minutes of comparable gradient can have you ever reach another landslide-prone space. This space has boulder gradient and a stream crossing your path. Climb up for an additional 5 minutes to traverse the second ridge/bend. There square measure 8-9 landslide-prone bends from here. It takes twenty to half-hour to traverse this section. Keep a watch for falling rocks and avoid resting. Move fleetly. When crossing this section, you’ll see a bridge with a stream flowing below. Bhojbasa, the widest purpose within the depression, is only 1.5 metric linear unit from now.
The trek to Bhojbasa could be a level walk and really scenic. Around three hundred m higher than Bhojbasa, you get a viewpoint. The whole depression earlier than Bhojbasa is visible from here. This is often a awfully lovely sight. Conjointly visible could be a part of the Gaumukh ice mass.
You get the primary read of Mt Shivling at Bhojbasa. This is often AN open camping area – you’re way higher than the line currently. Bhagirathi watercourse flows right beside the camping area.
You will realize igloo-like structures near to the camping area. You have got the choice of staying in these rather than bivouacking. This needs permission from the Forest Department.
- Altitude: 10,055 ft. to 12,450 ft. (3,795 m)
- Time taken: 7 hours, 9 km
- Water sources: Carry 2 liters of water. Refill water bottles at Gaumukh.
The depression narrows as you progress on the path to Gaumukh. Take the path from the GMVN hut increasing and connecting with Gaumukh route. It takes ten minutes until you intercept the first path to Gaumukh. From here, it’s a gradual ascent for concerning two.5 hours all the thanks to Gaumukh. When twenty minutes of level walk, you reach the primary glacial stream crossing. You’ll currently see Mt. Shivling on the correct.
After twenty minutes, you reach a rock face that you simply ought to cross over. As you cross this bend, you get AN unexampled read of Gaumukh. The path currently becomes boulder ground, however is manageable.
15 minutes later, you reach the second major stream crossing. Then, twenty minutes of level walk on the outlined path can get you to tier camping area. Climb up the ground and walk to the viewpoint of Gaumukh that is five hundred meters far away from the ice mass. There’s a little open temple of Lord Shiva here. Pilgrims square measure kept away from going to any extent further unless they need permission to camp at Tapovan. Proceed from the left aspect of the ground ridge and climb up another twenty metres. You currently get an excellent read of the Gaumukh ice mass. As you proceed, observe the fragmentation of the ice mass and trash from the rock go over the years.
- Altitude: 12,450 ft. (3,795 m) to 14,202 ft. (4,329 m)
- Time taken: 8 hours, 15 km
- Trek gradient: Difficult. Gradual ascent for 2.5 hours. 2 hours glacier walk followed by 1 hour of moderate ascent. Final 1.5 hours is a steep ascent.
- Water sources: Carry 2 liters of water. Refill water bottles at Gaumukh.
The path from Gaumukh to Tapovan is that the most tough a part of the trek. It involves ascension glacial ground and traversing the Gaumukh ice mass. You’ll be traversing steep landslide-prone areas and a glacial stream referred to as Akash-Ganga.
The terminal ground could be a combination of onerous ice and boulders and might get slippery in sure sections. Even with cairns marking the route, finding it is difficult since the route goes over a lively glacial basin and is usually dynamic. The initial climb until the highest of Gaumukh ice mass from the left aspect could be a one hundred meter ascent. A neighborhood guide is very judicious here. The climb up the one hundred meters will take AN hour and a [*fr1]. The route via the terminal ground takes nearly AN hour to traverse and reach. After this, you hit a rock face that you ought to climb to induce to Tapovan.
This climb is adjacent to Akash Ganga that flows vertically down this rock face. Guarantee this section is climbed before lunch time to avoid potential rock fall and increase in volume of water coming back down Akash Ganga. The climb takes AN hour to 2, relying upon the conditions. The climb could be a steep incline on loose gravel.
After concerning one hundred metres into the climb, seek for spots from wherever you’ll cross Akash Ganga. If the amount of water is high, then you wish to require your shoes off and cross the stream. Otherwise, boulder hopping is additionally doable. Take an opening when crossing the stream. You’ll have lunch here.
Tapovan could be a steep climb from here. It’ll take you concerning one.5 hours to achieve. Seek for an acceptable bivouacking spot and camp for the night.
The mountain views from the Tapovan ground square measure are astonishing. You’ll see Mt Shivling to the correct. Meru is to the correct of Shivling. On the left aspect of Shivling, a touch behind, is Sumeru. More to the left you see Bhagirathi peaks, Thenu and Sudarshan Parbat. If you walk to the ashram that’s visible from the camping area, Shivling seems even nearer.
Tapovan could be a high-altitude alpine hayfield below Mt. Shivling that dominates the landscape. Tapovan is contact two metric linear unit long. Though it’s a colossal level ground, not all the land is appropriate for bivouacking. The realm near to Mt. Shivling is wet throughout early summer thanks to melting snow and glacial water. These grounds are employed by several sages to meditate over the centuries. There square measure several such holy men living for good at Tapovan.
A 1.5 metric linear unit trek from Tapovan to the abutting peak that connects to Neelatal brings you to a viewpoint from wherever you get nice views of Meru. This takes concerning two hours to achieve from the camping area. From here, you’ll either walk on the ridge ahead to achieve Neelatal, or walk back on a similar path to Tapovan. Neelatal rarely has any water currently. Manage it slow specified you’re back at the camping area by 1:30 PM.
- Altitude: 12,450 ft. to 10,055 ft. (3,585 m)
- Time taken: 5 hours, 7 km
- Trek gradient: Moderate Difficult. Level trail to Chirbasa.
- Water sources: Carry 2 liters of water. You can refill your water bottles at streams along the trail.
Proceed from Bhojbasa on a similar path back to Chirbasa.
The trek involves a gradual descent and a series of level walks, which may be done fleetly. The trek back to Gangotri is that the same path taken to achieve Chirbasa. It’s a awfully gradual descent, that takes way less time to hide than the ascent.
Get yourself feet
The Gaumukh-Tapovan trek is of moderate problem. You begin at associate altitude of 10,055 feet associated reach an altitude of 14,202 feet in three days. Ideally, you must be solely gaining a thousand foot. A day. However, the Indian Himalayas climb terribly quickly. This can be known as a forced ascent.
On the Gaumukh Tapovan trek, you have got to hide a median of ten click daily. This needs a decent quantity of endurance. You’ll be able to begin by cardiopulmonary exercise every day. Begin slowly and increase your pace every day. Swimming, athletics and step rise while not too several breaks in between will facilitate too.
In order to be ready for a high altitude trek, you must have a mix of distance and speed targets.
Here’s a fitness routine that works
In case you’re simply beginning with an everyday fitness routine, end your distance targets within the following manner –
–>Target finishing five click in thirty five minutes once you begin.
–> bit by bit increase your pace by running four times every week and convey it all the way down to five click in but thirty five minutes.
–>This holds true for trekkers on top of forty five years conjointly.
If you’re someone you prefers athletics over running, then try and cowl twenty two click in hr.
Upload 2 screenshots ten days before the beginning of the trek — one in all you covering 5km in but thirty five minutes at the side of your image and also the different with splits of your run.
Strength – Target 4 sets of squats with 20 in each
This is another space you must work on. There’s a great deal of trekking distance that you just can cowl in high altitude carrying your backpacks. You have got to run on uneven parcel throughout the trek. It may be heavy for your legs. For this, strengthening your legs can facilitate. You’ll be able to do some squats to strengthen them. Begin with three sets of squats, with eight squats in every set and work towards reaching your target in three weeks.
Another side which will assist you trek well is flexibility. For this, you’ll be able to do some stretching exercises – stretch your hamstrings, quadriceps, hip flexors, lower back muscles and shoulders frequently. On your trek, it’s vital that you just arrive on the slopes together with your muscles relaxed. Carrying a backpack, but lightweight, will become a strain once a short while. These exercises can assist you to be in good condition before the trek.
Here is a guide to help you get fit for the trek.
Working out indoors
If you can’t leave and jog due to time and house constraints, here’s a video you’ll be able to use to figure out inside.
Things to take: –
- Trekking shoes: The trek distance is long and you will have to walk for long distances which need you to have comfortable trekking shoes. You can watch this video to learn to choose the right trekking shoes.
- Backpack (40-60 liters): A backpack with sturdy straps and a supporting frame. Rain cover for backpack is essential.
On a trek, carry fewer garments than you’d unremarkably want. Don’t pack for ‘what if situations’. Which will solely increase the burden of your backpack and not be used on the trek. Once your garments get warm au courant a trek, you’ll not desire ever-changing. Simply maintain personal hygiene.
- Three Warm Layers: You will be trekking and camping at high altitudes. The Bhojbasa campsite is especially windy. So make sure you have the apt clothes for the climatic conditions. It will be cold at the higher altitudes so make sure you have at least three layers of warm clothes to protect yourself.
- Two trek pants: One pair of pants should suffice for this trek. But you can carry one spare pair in case the first one gets wet. Wear one pair and carry one pair. Denim/jeans and shorts are not suitable for trekking.
- Three collared t-shirts: Carry light, full sleeved t-shirts that prevent sun burns on the neck and arms. Let one of these be a dry-fit t-shirt. It will dry quickly in case you are trekking on a rainy day. A common mistake that trekkers make is not changing their t-shirts often enough. Regardless of how cold it is, the body tends to sweat a lot. Trekkers who don’t change to fresh clothes after reaching the campsite fall ill due to wet clothes and are often unable to complete their trek.
- Thermals (Optional): Those who are more susceptible to cold can carry thermals to wear at night.
- Sunglasses: Sunglasses are to prevent snow blindness.
- Sun cap: The sun is harsher at high altitudes so wear a sun cap to protect your face and neck.
- Synthetic hand gloves: One pair of fleece or woolen hand gloves. One pair of water proof/resistant, wind proof gloves.
- Balaclava: You may use woolen scarves instead as well.
- Socks (2 pairs): Apart from two sports socks, you can take a pair of woolen socks for the night.
- Headlamp/LED torch: Mandatory
- Trekking pole:
- Daypack (20 liters): If you are offloading your backpack, you will need a smaller backpack to carry water, medical kit and some light snacks.
- Toiletries: Sunscreen, moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, toilet paper, toothbrush, toothpaste, hand sanitizer. Do not carry wet wipes since these are not biodegradable. If you do happen to use wet wipes to clean up after a trek, make sure you bring them back with you. The same holds for used sanitary napkins. Carry a zip lock bag to put used wet tissues and napkins. Bring this zip lock bag back with you to the city and do not dispose wet tissues and sanitary napkins in the mountains.
- Cutlery: Carry a spoon, coffee mug and a lunch box. We insist on trekkers getting their own cutlery for hygiene reasons.
- Two water bottles: 1 liter each
- Plastic covers: While packing, use plastic bags to compartmentalize things and carry few extra plastic bags for wet clothes.
Mandatory Personal Medical Kit
- Diamox – 10 tablets
- Dexamethasone – one strip
- Nifedipine – 5 tablets
- Crocin – 6 tablets (fever)
- Avomine – 4 tablets (motion sickness)
- Avil 25mg – 4 tablets (allergies)
- Combiflam – 4 tablets (Pain killer)
- Norflox TZ & Lomofen– 6 tablets each (diarrhea)
- Digene – 10 tablets (acidity)
- Omez/ Rantadine – 10 tablets (antacids)
- Crepe bandage – 3 to 5 meters
- Gauze – 1 small roll
- Band aid – 10 strips
- Cotton – 1 small roll
- ORS – 10 packets
- Betadine or any antiseptic cream
- Moov spray (aches, & sprains)
- Knee cap, if you are prone to knee injury
- Anti-fungal powder
Please email a scan of your ID document (PAN, Aadhar card or Voter ID) to your Ground Coordinator as soon as you have finished registering for the trek. If you submit the Aadhar card or Voter ID scans, please make sure that we get both the side. This is required in advance to get the necessary trekking permissions.
Please carry the below documents. Document two and three need to be downloaded (PDF), filled in, signed and handed over to the trek leader at the base camp.
Map & getting here
How to get to the basecamp – Dharali
Delhi → Dehradun → Dharali
The base camp for the Kedartal trek is Dharali, around 230 click from Dehradun.
India hikes organizes transport from Dehradun to Dharali. The obtain is at half-dozen.00 am from Dehradun railroad station on Day one. The taxi fare is Rs.7, 000 per vehicle. This can be not enclosed within the trek fee. It’s to be shared amongst trekkers and paid on to the motive force.
You will reach Dharali at around five.00 pm. The trek begins at Gangotri subsequent morning. India hikes can organize cabs to require trekkers from Dharali to Gangotri.
To reach Dehradun
Gangotri The best thanks to reach Dehradun is to book the ever reliable Nandadevi categorical.
12205 Nandadevi categorical – twenty three.50 – 3.55
If you cannot realize a train, then take a bus. To remain on the safe facet, book buses on-line before. A more robust choice is to achieve the previous night by January Shatabdi from urban center.
Dharali → Dehradun → Delhi
India hikes organizes transport from Dharali to Dehradun. The taxi fare from Dharali to Dehradun is Rs.7, 000 per vehicle. This can be to be shared by trekkers and paid to the motive force directly. You’ll reach Dehradun by half-dozen.00 pm.
If you’re motion afar from Dehradun, keep a handful of hours as buffer time just in case of delay. Book your more travel from Dehradun post eight.00 pm. If you’re motion to urban center, you’ll be able to favor to return by Missouri categorical or mountain peak categorical.
What are the risks on the Gaumukh Tapovan Trek?
The Gaumukh Tapovan trek is hierarchal moderate-difficult. If you have got registered for this trek, then here is a few data that you just should know so as to own a secure trek. We have a tendency to believe that as long as you’re intelligent and well-prepared, you’ll be able to survive simply at high altitudes.
This trek starts at associate altitude of 10,055 ft. you’re already in rarefied air and can be covering long distances. With vital altitude gain there are chances of being hit by acute altitude sickness. A median trekking day here covers a distance of 10-13 click. The path from Gaumukh to Tapovan is very tough. The route on the ice mass keeps ever-changing associated having a seasoned guide here could be a should. Once the ice mass walk is an especially steep climb up to Tapovan that takes a toll on your legs. Most of the trek has glacial residue of moraines and formation – that is tough to run on.
How to ensure your safety?
Our philosophy is straightforward. We have a tendency to ingrain safety aspects within the folks we have a tendency to work with, within the processes that we have a tendency to follow, and within the instrumentation we supply. All our trek leaders’ square measure trained repeatedly on issues of safety and protocols. Most problems square measure resolved with their intervention.
Right from the time you opt to register for the trek until the Last Day of the trek, these safety procedures are going to be running within the background. We’ve got listed many of them below:
1. Fitness criteria before registration
Over years of organizing high altitude treks, we’ve got found that questions of safety thrive amongst those that are unfit and unprepared for the trek. Therefore we’ve got introduced associate eligibility criteria for the Gaumukh Tapovan trek. Anyone who desires to register for the Gaumukh Tapovan trek must meet the fitness needs, with the perfect BMI. The BMI and fitness regime would force proof. A high altitude trek isn’t to be taken casually.
- Monitoring health on a trek
Any abnormal reading will be paid particular attention to and action will be taken immediately.
On the Gaumukh Tapovan trek, your Trek Leader will be monitoring two aspects thrice a day.
- Oxygen Level
- Pulse Rate
Your Blood Pressure levels will be checked once a day.
This can facilitate U.S. make sure that your body is acclimatizing as needed.
Every traveler are given a Health Card at the start of the trek. The Health Card is issued to observe the trekker’s daily health, whereby they’ll be coming into details concerning their health every day. It additionally contains details of what symptoms one ought to look out for and what action ought to be taken throughout emergencies. These Health Cards are collected back at the top of the trek.
3. High Altitude Medical Kit
Your trek leader are carrying a full-fledged high altitude medical kit. This can embody basic medicines and specific medicines line to hypoxia – Diamox, Hexadrol (tablets and injections) and calcium blocker. Your Trek Leader also will be carrying a transportable O cylinder throughout the trek. Additionally thereto, there square measure O cylinders put in in any respect high altitude campsites for any emergency things.
4. High Altitude Trek Equipment
To confirm safe trekking on snowy parcel, India hikes can give you with micro-spikes to connect to your shoes. This can provide you with smart traction on laborious snow. To avoid snow from coming into your shoes, India hikes can give you with gaiters that you just will placed on over your shoes. You’ll have qualified technical guides with you, World Health Organization can lead the means on troublesome parcel.
All our sleeping baggage and tents square measure customized for prime altitude. If it’s cold outside, it’ll be around ten degrees hotter within the tent. The sleeping baggage will stand up to temperatures up to -10 degree.
With of these processes and equipment in situ, you’ll be able to be rest assured that you just can have a secure trek with India hikes.
Nevertheless, you’ll have to be compelled to take care and report the slightest of symptoms to your trek leader as before long as you’re feeling them.
5. being hydrated and well-nourished on the trek
You wish to drink a minimum of four liters of water each day throughout the trek to confirm that you’re well hydrous. De-hydration on a trek will cause you to lose energy terribly quickly and intensify the results of AMS. Your trek leader can temporary you concerning the quantity of water that you just have to be compelled to carry with you at the beginning of every day still as water sources on the path.
We provide trekkers with nutritive meals to confirm that they’re energized to finish the path on a daily basis. Aside from this, snacks or packed lunch is provided where the path before a meal break is probably going to be long. Make certain that you just don’t skip any meal as this will cause serious health emergencies on high altitudes.
What you mandatorily have to be compelled to recognize if you’re happening the Gaumukh Tapovan trek
Acute Mountain Sickness:
At higher than 12,000 linear unit the probabilities of being hit by Acute altitude sickness may be quite high.
Gaumukh and Tapovan square measure the very best campsites on the trek. Trekkers tend to develop symptoms of hypoxia at these camps. That said, Gangotri, wherever the trek begins, is itself at a high altitude, and you ascend about to 1,500 linear unit on a daily basis, which implies that you just have to be compelled to take utmost care on all the times of ascent.
Do not proceed to Gaumukh if you’ve got symptoms of hypoxia. Inform your trek leader concerning your condition. If the symptoms don’t alleviate it’s best to move all the way down to Gangotri.
This risk may be avoided by happening a course of Diamox. Even whereas on Diamox, the chance of AMS still prevails. Whereas AMS may be treated with rest and medicines for the foremost half, the symptoms should be recognized before it will head to advance stages – High Altitude respiratory organ oedema (HAPE) and High Altitude Cerebral oedema (HACE).
HAPE and HACE are critical conditions that can be fatal within hours. And they can occur without AMS preceding them. So it’s doubly important to recognize any symptoms and nip them in the bud.
Take this specific precaution – Go on a preventive course of Diamox
Gaumukh We strongly advise you to go on a preventive course of Diamox. Diamox is a blood thinner and helps you acclimatize much faster and reduces the chance of AMS by around 80%. Take half a tablet twice a day from one day before your trek.
What to do if you have symptoms of AMS?
If you’re feeling any symptoms of AMS on the trek, you want to report back to the Trek Leader straight off. Don’t wait until the top of the day’s trek. Don’t attempt to handle it yourself either. Our Trek Leaders square measure well-trained and veteran to handle any cases and that they are the choice manufacturers in any such cases.
Watch the below video to grasp the symptoms of Acute altitude sickness. During this video, Arjun Maunder, the founding father of India hikes also will tell you the protocol to follow after you see somebody showing symptoms of AMS.
Exit points on the Gaumukh Tapovan trek:
The safest purpose on a trek wherever a traveler will descend to associated rest is taken into account an Exit purpose. If there’s associate emergency anyplace before Gaumukh, then exit to Gangotri is comparatively fast. However, at any purpose higher than Gaumukh, the exit becomes sophisticated, since it’s an extended walk to Gangotri, that is that the solely entrance to the vale.
Gangotri encompasses a government clinic. For any advanced treatment, Uttarkashi, around a hundred metric linear unit from Gangotri, has the closest hospital.
Why you should personally know about the risks and precautions of high altitude treks
If ever you discover yourself alone at high altitude, either whereas trekking severally or with another organization, there square measure some life -saving steps you’ll be able to take. Firstly, you ought to be able to recognize symptoms of hypoxia. Therefore acquaint yourself with the symptoms.
Secondly, there may be instances after you ought to administer medicines to yourself or to a fellow traveler. There square measure 3 life-saving medicines that we advise you usually keep on you – Diamox, Hexadrol and calcium blocker.
If you’re trekking with India hikes, don’t administer these to anyone while not consulting your Trek Leader. If you’re trekking severally then you wish to grasp once precisely to administer these medicines and in what indefinite quantity.
Also make sure that you’re well hydrous throughout the trek and don’t skip any meal.
You can watch the video below to be told concerning HAPE and HACE and the way to tackle them. within the video, Sandhya UC, partner at India hikes, explains well concerning High Altitude respiratory organ and Cerebral oedema, what the symptoms square measure and the way to tackle them.
We cannot stress enough on how important it is for you to communicate any symptom to your Trek Leader. Only then your trek leader will be able to take steps at the right time.
Acute Mountain Sickness
If you’re of the opinion that match individuals don’t get AMS, please get obviate that notion at once. AMS will affect anyone while not paying heed to their fitness and previous expertise at high altitude! Hypoxia doesn’t distinguish between a primary timer and a veteran traveler.
For a lot of elaborated info concerning acute altitude sickness, you’ll be able to transfer and study the manual below.
What you need to know about the trek fee?
The trek fee of Rs. 13,450 + 5% GST covers all costs of the trek from Dharali to Dharali.
Here is what the trek fee includes:
- Accommodation – Stay is included from Day 1 to Day 7 (Dharali to Dharali). You will be staying at a hotel in Dharali and camping on all days of the trek (3 per cent).
- Meals – All meals from dinner at Dharali on Day 1 to breakfast at Dharali on Day 8 are included. We provide simple, nutritious vegetarian food on all days of the trek.
- Camping charges – All trekking permits and forest camping charges are included.
- Trekking equipment – You will stay in high quality tents and sleeping bags in all the camps. Our high altitude sleeping bags can withstand temperatures as low as -10 ºC. We provide ice axes, roped, micro spikes, gaiters etc. as required.
- Safety equipment – First aid, medical kit, oxygen cylinders, stretchers etc. will be available at all campsites to deal with emergencies.
- Services of an expert Trek Leader – All our trek leaders are qualified in basic / advanced mountaineering courses.
- Services of an expert Trek Team – The mountain staff on this trek consists of well-trained guides, cooks, helpers and porters.
Here is what the trek fee excludes:
- Transport to and from the base camp – We will arrange shared taxis for trekkers to pick you up from Dehradun and drop you back from Dharali. This will cost approx. Rs. 7,000 per 5-6 setter vehicle one way. You will have to share this cost with the other trekkers
- Food during transit to and from the base camp – The trek fee does not include meals purchased during the journey to and from Dharali.
- Backpack offloading charges – If you wish to offload your backpack, there will be an additional charge of Rs. 1,800 + 5% GST. The backpack cannot weigh more than 9 kgs. Suitcases/strollers/duffel bags will not be allowed. Please note that last minute offloading will not be possible on this trek. Online offloading in advance is possible up to two days prior to the trek start date.
- Stay at Dehradun on the last day
- Personal expenses of any kind
- Anything apart from inclusions
Terms & Conditions
- Cancellation: If a trek is called off at the last moment due to a natural calamity/unforeseen circumstances (like rains, earthquake, landslides, strike, bandh etc.), India hikes will issue a trek voucher for the full amount. The voucher can be redeemed for the same trek or another trek in the next one year.
In case, you wish to cancel your trek, please login to your account and cancel. Cancellation requests will not be taken over phone or email.
The cancellation charges are as under:
- Cancellations prior to 30 days from the start of the trek — full refund.
- Cancellation between 30 days and 20 days to the start of the trek — 50% refund.
- Cancellation less than 20 days to the start of the trek — no refund.
Please note: In case of refund, there will be a deduction of 4% (Cancellation charges) from the total fee you have paid. Also, if you have opted for a trek insurance, the amount will not be refunded.
The trek fee includes all costs of the trek from the start and to the end of the trek at Dharali.
- Pick up:Trekkers are picked up from Dehradun railway station at 6.00 am. Usually, trekkers are clubbed together with other participants to make a group. The group travels together to Dharali in shared cabs.
- Transport: Transport from Dehradun to Dharali and the return can be arranged by us at an extra cost. It will cost Rs.7, 000 per Tata Sumo one way. Participants are expected to share the cost of the cab. The amount is to be paid directly to our transporter. No GST is applicable on transport cost. India hikes only arranges the vehicle pick up and is not responsible for any issues during transport. You can choose to come independently to the base camp.
- Backpack offloading: India hikes expects all trekkers to hold their own backpacks. All common gear are going to be carried by the support team. If for a few reason a traveler is unable to hold his or her backpack, he/she will offload a similar by paying an extra charge.
Backpack offloading charge for the complete trek period is Rs. 1,800/- and GST of fifty. Second offloading isn’t allowed. You’ve got to tell America concerning offloading 6-7 days before the beginning of your trek. The backpack cannot weigh quite nine metric weight unit. No suitcases/strolleys/duffel luggage are going to be allowed. On-line offloading ahead is feasible up to 2 days before the trek begin date.
- Emergency during trek:In a trek a medical emergency or the other emergency could arise. If for any reason you’re sent down from the trek then India hikes can create arrangements for your come back to the bottom camp or nearest road head. A workers can accompany you. He might not be a trained personnel.
Evacuation or coping with emergencies is very troublesome within the mountains. It’s time overwhelming furthermore. A standard trek of two hours could take 6 hours in associate emergency. Doctors don’t go together with a team. Doctors don’t seem to be offered at the bottom camp or nearest road head either. India hikes trek leaders are trained to administer care and acumen to upset problems associated with the mountains. However, they’re not doctors.
Registering for this trek is associate perceiving that you simply have browse au fait the difficulties of high altitude trekking and understand the risks. You’ve got conjointly understood what AMS, HAPE and HACE ar. you’ve got taken efforts to coach yourself and you’re in a very position to manage your own altitude connected emergency.
- Fitness:A high altitude trek within the chain needs goodly fitness. Your body must train itself to method a lot of work with lower levels of atomic number 8. Vas coaching before a trek is critically vital. Coaching should embrace strength and suppleness physical exertion. We’ve set out the eligibility criteria here. Registering for the trek is associate understanding that you simply can undertake the mandated fitness coaching. India hikes has the proper to reject candidates UN agency don’t meet our eligibility demand at the bottom camp.
- Non-liability: India hikes isn’t to blame for any loss/damage of your gears/equipment or different belongings on the trek.
- Payment:Payment for the trek may be done on-line through credit/debit card or web banking. Cheque/draft or money isn’t accepted.
- Drinking and smoking: –Throughout the trek is strictly prohibited. If found flouting the foundations, your participation on the trek are going to be off with immediate impact.
- 10. Safety Protocol:
- whereas our itineraries are designed to permit for adequate adjustment, most treks in Indian chain climb quickly, that is named forced accents. Inaccessibility of camp sites and also the Indian range parcel of land are the rationale for this. There are probabilities that you simply can feel the results of hypoxia and atomic number 8 deprivation whereas on this trek. Please bear in mind that your trek leader could view it unsafe for you to continue trekking at any time, and prepare for you to descend to a lower angle.
- Our trek leaders can conduct routine health checks in any respect camps to live atomic number 8 saturation, pulse and pressure. India hikes reserves the proper to exclude any traveler from mounting higher on the trek while not refund if the trekker’s important readings are below accepted norms for that altitude. These norms are offered with India hikes trek leaders.
- this is often a high altitude trek with rough, rocky and snowy parcel of land. It’s vital that you simply are a work and assured walker in mountain parcel of land, able to manage ascents and descents by yourself among an inexpensive time. India hikes reserves the proper to show around a traveler if within the opinion of our trek leader they’re unable to finish the itinerary while not requiring exclusive help. Please realistically self-assess your fitness and suitableness for this trek before registering.