The Kafni glacier
Views of the magnificent Himalayan peaks
The Kafni ice mass is within the Kumaon chain of mountains in Uttarakhand. It’s the supply of the Kafni river, a tributary of the poet river that later joins the river.
- The trek starts at Loharket, on top of the little mountain city of Baleshwar.
- From Loharkhet climb up to Dhakuri pass from wherever begin to urge a read of the glorious Himalayan peaks together with Nanda kat and Maiktoli.
- Then descend into the poet basin and walk on the greenish-blue waters with Nanda Devi East in sights till reach the purpose wherever the Kafni River merges into the poet.
The Kafni ice mass Trek lies is within the Kumaon chain of mountains in Uttarakhand. It’s the supply of the Kafni river, a tributary of the poet river that later joins the river. The trek starts at Loharket, on top of the little mountain city of Bageshwar. From Loharkhet climb up to Dhakuri pass from wherever begin to urge a read of the glorious Himalayan peaks together with Nanda kat and Maiktoli. Then descend into the poet basin and walk on the greenish-blue waters with Nanda Devi East in sights till reach the purpose wherever the Kafni River merges into the poet. From here follow the Kafni watercourse, continued northward and miscalculation the bend of the depression that makes a good left flip. Path is over the river’s boulder-strewn banks, through forests on the slope, and across expansive mountain meadows, hiking higher and better towards the Kafni ice mass. Finally, reach an amazing amphitheater of snow lined mountains looming over the ice mass itself and its vast forbidding blackish-gray snout. Sit here enclosed by the majestic mountains feeling sort of a little particle in a very vast universe and everything feels right within the world.
Kafni Glacier Trek Guide
Day 01: Arrive Delhi
Up on arrival at city airdrome met representative then transfer to edifice for nightlong keep.
Day 02: Delhi – Kathgodam
After breakfast 0.5 day look at city. By evening board an evening train for Kathgodam. Nightlong journey.
Day 03: Kathgodam - Bageshwar (160 Kms/5-6 Hrs)
Arrival at Kathgodam by early within the morning then drive to Bageshwar. Bageshwar is settled at the confluence of river Saryu, Gomati and also the latent Bhagirathi. On arrival sign up to edifice. Dinner and nightlong lodge in edifice.
Day 04: Bageshwar - Song (40 Kms/1 Hrs) - Loharkhet (13 Kms/4-5 Hrs)
In the morning when breakfast drive to Song and from here trek to Loharkhet. Loharkhet, a tiny low hamlet on the banks of watercourse Saryu. On arrival launched camp for nightlong keep.
Day 05: Loharkhet - Khati (2210 Mts/7248 Ft)
In the morning we’ll trek to Khati. Khati is that the biggest village enroute Pindari. Dinner and nightlong keep in tents.
Day 06: Khati - Phurkia 3260 Mts/10693 Ft) 9 Kms/ 4-5 Hrs
In the morning trek to Phurkia. Phurkia, wherever the trees subside to alpine pastures and shepherds will be seen guiding their massive flock across grazy uplands. Dinner and nightlong keep in tents.
Day 07: Phurkia - Zero Point - Dwali (2575 Mts/8446 Ft) 18 Kms/6-7 Hrs
In the morning trek up to numerical quantity. From numerical quantity, are able to see the read of Pindari ice mass. When exploring numerical quantity trek to Dwali. Dinner and nightlong keep in tents.
Day 08: Dwali - Kafni - Dwali (24 Kms/7-8 Hrs)
After early breakfast trek to Kafni ice mass left of the Pinder depression and also the Nandakot. From Kafni ice mass are able to see the most Himalayan ranges. When exploring Kafni ice mass trek back to Dwali for dinner and nightlong keep.
Day 09: Dwali - Dhakuri (2690 Mts/8824 Ft) 19 Kms/6 Hrs
In the morning we’ll trek to Dhakuri. Dhakuri – Binjak ridge offers a read of the covered Nandakot summit to the east of Maktoli to the west. Dinner and nightlong keep in Dhakuri.
Day 10: Dhakuri - Song (16 Kms/5 Hrs) - Bageshwar 40 Kms/1 Hrs)
In the morning trek up to Song then any drive to Bageshwar. Dinner and 0vernight keep in Bageshwar.
Day 11: Bageshwar -Kathgodam – Delhi
In the morning drive to Kathgodam and from here take an evening train for city. Nightlong journey.
Day 12: Delhi
Arrival at city by morning then transfer to edifice for relax. Evening transfer to airdrome to catch onward flight.
Day 1: Arrive Delhi
Day 2: Delhi – Kathgodam
Day 3: Kathgodam – Bageshwar
Day 4: Bageshwar – Song (40 Kms/1 Hrs) – Loharkhet (13 Kms/4-5 Hrs)
Day 5: Loharkhet – Khati (2210 Mts/7248 Ft)
Day 6: Khati – Phurkia 3260 Mts/10693 Ft) 9 Kms/ 4-5 Hrs
Day 7: Phurkia – Zero Point – Dwali (2575 Mts/8446 Ft) 18 Kms/6-7 Hrs
Day 8: Dwali – Kafni – Dwali (24 Kms/7-8 Hrs
Day 9: Dwali – Dhakuri (2690 Mts/8824 Ft) 19 Kms/6 Hrs
Day 10: Dhakuri – Song (16 Kms/5 Hrs) – Bageshwar 40 Kms/1 Hrs)
Day 11: Bageshwar -Kathgodam – Delhi
Day 12: Delhi
Get yourself fit/Fitness Parameter:-
How to get fit for the Kafni Glacier Trek
The Kafni Glacier Trek is classified as a trek of moderate difficult. Trek up to an altitude of over 12,664 feet. Have to make sure lungs are strong for this.
On the Kafni Glacier Trek, the trail has steep uphill sections. Hence, this requires a good amount of endurance. Can begin by jogging every day. Start jogging at a slow pace and then keep increasing pace day by day. Make sure are able to jog 4 km in 20 minutes before the start of the trek. It takes time to be able to cover this distance in the given time. Swimming, cycling and stair climbing without too many breaks in between can help too.
This is another area you should work on. There is a lot of trekking distance that will cover in high altitude carrying backpacks. Have to walk on uneven terrain during the trek. It could be taxing for legs. For this, strengthening legs will help. Can do some squats to strengthen them. Do around 3 sets of squats, with 8 squats in each set.
Another aspect that will help trek comfortably is flexibility. For this, can do some stretching exercises – stretch hamstrings, quadriceps, hip flexors, lower back muscles and shoulders regularly. On trek, it is important that arrive on the slopes with muscles relaxed. Carrying a backpack, however light, can become a strain after a while. These exercises will help to be in good shape before the trek.
Working out indoors
If can’t go out and jog because of time and space constraints, here’s a video can use to work out indoors.
Things to take/Essential things to take:-
What to take on the Kafni Glacier trek?
- Trekking shoes: The trek distance is long and will have to walk for long distances which need to have comfortable trekking shoes. Can watch this video to learn to choose the right trekking shoes.
- Backpack (40-60 litres): A backpack with sturdy straps and a supporting frame. Rain cover for backpack is essential.
The Miyar Valley Dun trek happens round the year except for monsoons so make sure have the proper clothing as per the season demands so can keep protected during the trek.
- Three (Five in Winter) Warm Layers: Will be trekking and camping at high altitudes. So make sure have the apt clothes for the climatic conditions. It will be cold at the higher altitudes so make sure have at least three layers of warm clothes to protect.
- Two trek pants: One pair of pants should suffice for this trek. But can carry one spare pair in case the first one gets wet. Wear one pair and carry one pair.
- Two collared t-shirts: Carry light, full sleeved t-shirts that prevent sun burns on the neck and arms. Again, wear one and carry one.
- Thermals (Optional): Those who are more susceptible to cold can carry thermals to wear at night.
- Sunglasses: Sunglasses are to prevent snow blindness. There might be snow in Har Ki Dun Valley or from Kalkatiyadhaar (depending on the season you are going in), so carry a pair of sunglasses.
- Sun cap: The sun is more harsh at high altitudes so wear a suncap to protect your face and neck.
- Synthetic hand gloves: One pair of fleece or woolen hand gloves. One pair of water proof/resistant, wind proof gloves.
- Balacla: May use woollen scarves instead as well.
- Socks (2 pairs): Apart from two sports socks, can take a pair of woollen socks for the night.
- Headlamp/LED torch: Mandatory
- Trekking pole: Watch this video to understand why you need a trekking pole.
- Daypack (20 litres): If offloading backpack, will need a smaller backpack to carry water, medical kit and some light snacks.
- Toiletries (Sunscreen, moisturiser, light towel, lip balm, toilet paper, toothbrush, toothpaste)
- Cutlery: Carry a spoon, coffee mug and a lunch box. We insist on trekkers getting their own cutlery for hygiene reasons.
- Two water bottles: 1 litre each
- Plastic covers: While packing, use plastic bags to compartmentalise things and carry few extra plastic bags for wet clothes.
Mandatory Personal Medical Kit
- Diamox – 10 tablets (to prevent AMS)
- Crocin – 6 tablets (fever)
- Avomine – 4 tablets (motion sickness)
- Avil 25mg – 4 tablets (allergies)
- Combiflam – 4 tablets (Pain killer)
- Disprin – 6 tablets (headache)
- Norflox TZ & Lomofen– 6 tablets each (diarrhea)
- Digene – 10 tablets (acidity)
- Omez/ Rantadine – 10 tablets (antacids)
- Crepe bandage – 3 to 5 meters
- Gauze – 1 small roll
- Band aid – 10 strips
- Cotton – 1 small roll
- ORS – 10 packets
- Betadine or any antiseptic cream
- Moov spray (aches, & sprains)
Please carry the below documents. Document two and three need to be downloaded (PDF), filled in, signed and handed over to the trek leader at the base camp.
- Original and photocopy of government photo identity card- (driving license, voters ID, etc.)
- Medical Certificate and Disclaimer (to be filled by the trekker) – Download PDF
- Medical certificate (to be filled by a doctor)
Map & getting’s there/Map:-
What are the risks on the Annapurna Base Camp Trek?
The Annapurna Base Camp trek is ranked moderate-difficult. If have got registered for this trek, then here is a few info that just should recognize so as to own a secure trek. At Diganta, we have a tendency to believe that as long as sophisticated and well-prepared, survive simply at high altitudes.
The first principle trek has long distances to be lined every day. Though there aren’t any technical sections, this high altitude trek comes with many risks. The trek climbs terribly speedily from Dovan to Machapuchare Base camp. There are many stretches with terribly steep ascents and descents. These are a number of the items wish to be conscious of.
What Diganta does to ensure safety?
Our philosophy is straightforward. Have a tendency to ingrain safety aspects within the individuals have a tendency to work with, within the processes that we have a tendency to follow, and within the instrumentality we feature. All trek leaders are trained repeatedly on issues of safety and protocols. Most problems are resolved with their intervention.
Right from the time opt to register for the trek until the Doomsday of the trek, these safety procedures are going to be running within the background. Listed a number of them below:-
1. Fitness criteria before registration
Over years of organizing high altitude treks, found that issues of safety thrive amongst people who are unfit and unprepared for the trek. Thus introduced associate eligibility criteria for the first principle trek. Anyone who desires to register for the first principle trek must meet the fitness necessities, with the perfect BMI. The BMI and fitness regime would require proof. A high altitude trek isn’t to be taken nonchalantly.
2. Monitoring health on a trek
On the first principle trek, Trek Leader are going to be observation 2 aspects thrice each day.
- chemical element Level
- heart rate
- pressure levels are going to be checked once each day.
This will facilitate United States make sure that body is acclimatizing as needed.
Every traveler are going to be given a Health Card at the start of the trek. The Health Card is issued to observe the trekker’s daily health, whereby they’re going to be coming into details concerning their health every day. It additionally contains details of what symptoms one ought to look out for and what action ought to be taken throughout emergencies. These Health Cards are going to be collected back at the top of the trek.
3. High Altitude Medical Kit
Trek leader are going to be carrying a full-fledged high altitude medical kit. This can embrace basic medicines and specific medicines occupation to hypoxia – Diamox, Dexamethasone Intensol (tablets and injections) and Procardia. Trek Leader also will be carrying a conveyable chemical element cylinder throughout the trek. Additionally to it, there are chemical element cylinders put in in the least high altitude campsites for any emergency things.
4. High Altitude Trek Equipment
To ensure safe trekking on snowy piece of land, Diganta can offer with micro-spikes to connect to shoes. This can provide with sensible traction on laborious snow. To avoid snow from coming into shoes, Diganta can offer with gaiters that just will placed on over shoes. Have qualified technical guides with, who can lead the means on troublesome piece of land.
All our sleeping baggage and tents are customized for top altitude. If it’s cold outside, it’ll be around ten degrees hotter within the tent. The sleeping baggage will face up to temperatures up to -10 C.
5. Being hydrated and well-nourished on the trek
Need to drink a minimum of four liters of water each day throughout the trek to confirm that well hydrous. De-hydration on a trek will cause to lose energy terribly quickly and intensify the consequences of AMS. Trek leader can transient concerning the number of water that just ought to carry with at the beginning of every day further as water sources on the path.
We provide trekkers with nutrient meals to confirm that they’re energized to complete the path day by day. Excluding this, snacks or packed lunch is provided where the path before a meal break is probably going to be long. Certify that just don’t skip any meal as this could cause serious health emergencies on high altitudes.
With of these processes and instrumentality in situ, be rest assured that just can have a secure trek with Diganta. Nevertheless, ought to take care and report the slightest of symptoms to trek leader as before long as feeling them.
What compulsorily need to know if going on the ABC trek?
Acute Mountain Sickness:
At high feeling any symptoms of AMS on the trek, want to report back to the Trek Leader like a shot. Don’t wait until the top of the day’s trek. Don’t try and handle it yourself either. Trek Leaders are well-trained and intimate with to handle any cases and that they are going to be the choice manufacturers in any such cases.
Watch the below video to know the symptoms of Acute altitude sickness. During this video, the founding father of Diganta also will tell the protocol to follow after see somebody showing symptoms of AMS.
What to do if have symptoms of AMS?
If feeling any symptoms of AMS on the trek, want to report back to the Trek Leader like a shot. Don’t wait until the top of the day’s trek. Don’t try and handle it yourself either. Trek Leaders are well-trained and intimate with to handle any cases and that they are going to be the choice manufacturers in any such cases.
Watch the below video to know the symptoms of Acute altitude sickness. During this video,the founding father of Diganta also will tell the protocol to follow after see somebody showing symptoms of AMS.
Why should personally know about the risks and precautions of high altitude treks?
If ever discover alone at high altitude, either whereas trekking severally or with another organization, there are some life -saving steps take. Firstly, ought to be able to recognize symptoms of hypoxia. Thus acquaint with the symptoms.
Secondly, there may well be instances after need to administer medicines to or to a fellow traveler. There are 3 life-saving medicines that we propose mostly keep it up– Diamox, Dexamethasone Intensol and Procardia.
If trekking with Diganta, don’t administer these to anyone while not consulting Trek Leader. If trekking severally then wish to understand once precisely to administer these medicines and in what dose.
Also make sure that well hydrous throughout the trek and don’t skip any meal.
Can watch the video below to be told concerning HAPE and HACE and the way to tackle them. Within the video, Sandhya UC, partner at Diganta, explains very well concerning High Altitude pulmonic and cerebral dropsy, what the symptoms are and the way to tackle them.
We cannot stress enough on however vital it’s for to speak any symptom to Trek Leader. Solely then trek leader are going to be able to take steps at the correct time.
Acute Mountain Sickness
If of the opinion that work individuals don’t get AMS, please get obviate that notion promptly. AMS will effect on anyone while not paying heed to their fitness and previous expertise at high altitude! Hypoxia doesn’t distinguish between a primary timer and an intimate with traveler.
For a lot of careful info concerning acute altitude sickness, transfer and study the manual below.
Cancelation policy/Terms & Cancelation Policy:-
Terms & Conditions
1. Cancellation: If a trek is named off at the last moment thanks to a natural calamity/unforseen circumstances (like rains, earthquake, landslides, strike, bandh etc), Diganta can issue a trek voucher for the total quantity. The voucher is ransomed for an equivalent trek or another trek within the next one year.
In case, want to cancel trek, please login to account and cancel. Cancellation requests won’t be taken phone or email.
The cancellation charges are as under:
- Cancellations before thirty days from the beginning of the trek — full refund.
- Cancellation between thirty days and twenty days to the beginning of the trek — five hundredth refund.
- Cancellation but twenty days to the beginning of the trek — no refund.
Please note: just in case of refund, there’ll be a deduction of four-dimensional (cancellation charges) from the full fee have got paid. Also, if have got opted for a trek insurance, the number won’t be refunded.
The trek fee includes all prices of the trek from obtain at Pokhara on Day one until the move to Pokhara on Day eight.
2. The trek fee: Includes are going to be picked up from Pokhara on Day one. Attempt to reach Pokhara each day earlier or latest by 7.00 am on Day one. The time and place for obtain are going to be communicated to by trek arranger.
3. Pick up: Trekkers can prepare the vehicle obtain associated drop to and from Pokhara. Participants are going to be clubbed along to share a cab/private vehicle. Every vehicle accommodates 6-7 individuals.
4. Transport: Diganta expects all trekkers to hold their own backpacks. All common gear are going to be carried by the support team. If for a few reason a traveler is unable to hold his or her backpack, he/she will offload an equivalent by paying a further charge.
Backpack offloading charge for the whole trek length is Rs. 4,725 inclusive of tax. Partial offloading isn’t allowed. Ought to inform United States earlier, in writing, if want to dump backpack. The backpack cannot weigh quite nine metric weight unit. No suitcases/strolleys/duffel baggage are going to be allowed. On-line offloading earlier is feasible up to 2 days before the trek begin date.
5. Backpack offloading: Diganta very trek a medical emergency or the other emergency might arise. If for any reason sent down from the trek then Diganta can build arrangements for come back to the bottom camp or nearest road head. A workers can accompany. He might not be a trained personnel.
Evacuation or coping with emergencies is very troublesome within the mountains. It’s time intense further. A traditional trek of two hours might take 6 hours in associate emergency (a diseased person isn’t straightforward to evacuate). Doctors don’t go beside a team. Doctors don’t seem to be accessible at the bottom camp or nearest road head either. Diganta trek leaders are trained to administer aid and shrewdness to subsume problems associated with the mountains. However, they’re not doctors.
Registering for this trek is associate perceiving that just have browse informed the difficulties of high altitude trekking and understand the risks. Have got additionally understood what AMS, HAPE and HACE ar. Have got taken efforts to teach and in a very position to manage own altitude connected emergency.
6. Emergency during trek: In an altitude trek within the chain needs appreciable fitness. Body has to train itself to method a lot of work with lower levels of chemical element. Vas coaching before a trek is critically vital. Coaching should embrace strength and adaptability sweat. We’ve ordered out the eligibility criteria here. Registering for the trek is associate understanding that just can undertake the mandated fitness coaching. Diganta has the correct to reject candidates who don’t meet our eligibility demand at the bottom camp.
7. Fitness: A high isn’t accountable for any loss/damage of gears/equipment or different belongings on the trek.
8. Non-liability: Diganta for the trek is done on-line through credit/debit card or web banking. Cheque/draft or money isn’t accepted.
9. Payment: Payment the trek is strictly prohibited. If found flouting the foundations, participation on the trek are going to be off with immediate impact.
10. Drinking and smoking: During
11. Safety Protocol:
a. whereas itineraries are designed to permit for adequate acclimatization, most treks in Indian chain climb quickly, that is named forced accents. Inconvenience of camp sites and therefore the Indian chain of mountains piece of land are the explanation for this. There are probabilities that just can feel the consequences of hypoxia and chemical element deprivation whereas on this trek. Please remember that trek leader might take for it unsafe for to continue trekking at any time, and prepare for to descend to a lower perspective.
b. Trek leaders can conduct routine health checks in the least camps to live chemical element saturation, pulse and pressure. Diganta reserves the correct to exclude any traveler from ascent higher on the trek while not refund if the trekker’s very important readings are below accepted norms for that altitude. These norms are accessible with Diganta trek leaders.
c. this is often a high altitude trek with rough, rocky and snowy piece of land. It’s vital that just are a work and assured walker in mountain piece of land, able to manage ascents and descents among an affordable time. Diganta reserves the correct to show around a traveler if within the opinion of trek leader they’re unable to complete the itinerary while not requiring exclusive help. Please realistically self-assess fitness and quality for this trek before registering.