Prashar Lake trek – A perfect family trek in Himachal
Surrounded by the Dhauladhar ranges in Kullu vale may be a blue-water lake called Prashar. Prashar Lake may be a well-kept secret within the Mandi district of Himachal Pradesh. The trek follows a charming path through a forest and several rivulets. Meanwhile, one will enjoy the native culture because the path goes through villages likewise. The trek offers a 180 degree read of the Dhauladhar, Pir Panjal and Kinnaur mountain ranges.
For those interested in design, the native temple of Prashar Rishi next to the lake, with its interesting Himachali design, blends dead with the landscape.
Day 1: Kantlu to Prashar Lake
- Altitude: 6,050 ft (1,844 m) to eight,900 ft (2,713 m)
- Time taken: one hour drive + trek for five hours, 7.05 km
- Trek gradient: Moderate. Steep ascent for five hundred metres followed by a gradual ascent for concerning four metric linear unit. Another steep ascent for 3oo metres followed by a simple walk.
- Water sources: Carry 2 litres of water. there’s one water supply at Til, around 2.6 metric linear unit into the trek. You’ll refill your water bottles here.
Kantlu is concerning two hours from Mandi. Reach Mandi by seven.00 am and head straight to Kantlu. Have breakfast here and start trekking.
The path begins with a steep ascent for concerning five hundred metres through open land. you’ll see the vale on metropolis right.
After this, you enter a jungle, that principally consists of bush. The path eases a touch here to become a gradual ascent. In four hundred metres, you reach a clearing from wherever you get the total read of the Dhauadhar vary. Take an occasion here. It’s an honest spot to click some images.
On you cross the clearing, the path enters associate oak forest. It continues to ascend step by step. when walking within the jungle for one metric linear unit, you reach another clearing. this can be additionally an honest spot to require an occasion.
From this clearing, the path gets on to the motorable road. Walk on this for consecutive 700 metres. you’ll then reach an area named Til. There square measure a great deal of outlets here.
From Til, look for the kachha road. Ascend on this for concerning 600 metres until you reach another tiny grassland. Break here for lunch. The views square measure nice from here.
Once you begin trekking from the grassland, you’ll bump into apple orchards. ensure you are doing not pluck any apples. when 700 metres, you’ll cross the motorable road once more. From here, the path ascends steeply for three hundred metres. This section may be a very little strenuous. You reach a clearing right when this.
The views from here square measure outstanding. The mountain that you just see from left to right square measure Triund, Dhauladhar mountain peak, Kap Chuli, Man Hill, Hanuman Tibba, Sikar Beh, Mukar Beh, Manali peak, friendly relationship peak, Mukila, Ali Ratni Tibba and several other smaller ones close a stunning vale. Rest here for a minute.
In three hundred metres, you enter another forest. The path here is flat, followed by a brief ascent. At the top of this section, you’ll see a stunning lake below. however this can be isn’t Prashar Lake. Go all the way down to the lake and explore around. you’ll additionally realize 2 shepherds’ huts here.
From the lake, follow the mkotorable road for one.7 km. You’ll see few homes before reaching Prashar. Take a flip once you cross these. an occasional ground is visible from here. Once you reach the sting of this low ground, a stunning lake comes into read – this can be Prashar.
Prashar lake is protected by a fence therefore you can’t enter it. there’s a spherical, floating island within the lake. If you’re lucky, you’ll see the island move whereas you’re there.
There is a stunning temple dedicated to the sage Prashar next to the lake. Its design is exclusive and enticing.
Walk to the closest ‘top’ from the lake to look at the sunset and come back early consecutive morning for the sunrise. You get to visualize whole mountains from here as well as Papsura and Dharmsura. Rest for the night at the dormitory.
Day 2: Prashar Lake to Kantlu
- Altitude: 8,900 ft (2,713 m) to 6,050 ft (1,844 m)
- Times taken: 3.5 hours, 7.7 km
- Trek gradient: Easy. Mostly descending trail with few, short ascents.
- Water sources: Carry two litres of water. You can refill your water bottles from the small pump that you reach 2.2 km after starting the trek. You will come back to Kantlu nowadays however through a distinct route.
You will come back to Kantlu nowadays however through a distinct route.
Walk on the motorable lake from Prashar Lake F0r 1.5 km. From here, leave the mkotorable road and switch towards the proper. This can be a slender path through grasslands. When 700 metres on this path, you’ll see atiny low pump house. This, is a fully quiet, stunning place encircled by forests. The sole sound hear is that of water. You’ll refill your water bottles here.
The path enters dense forest from here. There’s another diversion when 500 meters, wherever you wish to require the path on the proper. The path descends step by step when the house. After 1.2 km, you’ll reach an ascent
The path enters dense forest from here. There’s another diversion when five hundred meters, wherever you wish to require the path on the proper. The path descends step by step when the house. After 1.2 km, you’ll reach associate ascent. Once you cross this, a house stunning house set in an exceedingly clearing seems out of obscurity to your right. Before of the home is associate grove, that is stuffed with apples in could and Gregorian calendar month.
Behind the home is a stunning vale. You’ll see the Dhauladhar vary, Mukila and Hanuman Tibba peaks from here.
In concerning two hundred meters from the house, you’ll cross the motorable road once more and enter a forest. This can be stuffed with pine, oak and bush trees. After 1 km, the forest thins down. On your left are a tiny low reservoir. Among one hundred meters you’ll reach atiny low village named Halgarh. This village has solely a couple of homes. You get a transparent read of Kantlu and therefore the vale from here.
Begin downhill once more from now. In an exceedingly minute, you reach the locality of the route taken on Day one. Follow this to achieve Kantlu that is two metric linear unit from Halgarh.
Have lunch at Kantlu and depart for Mandi.
Nearby excursions: A twelve metric linear unit trek to arthropod genus Mata temple higher than the Prashar Lake may be a viable excursion one will create whereas habitation at Prashar Lake. The path may be a steep get on the mountain ridge behind the lake. The read of the lake from here is beautiful.
Day 1: Assemble at Mandi at half dozen.30 am.Drive to Kantlu (organised by Indiahikes). Kantlu Village (6,050 ft) to Prashar Lake (8,900 ft); 7.5 km, 4-5 hours
Day 2: Prashar Lake (8,900 ft) to Kantlu Village (6,050 ft); 7.5 km, 3-4 hours. You’ll reach Mandi between 6 pm and seven pm.
Get yourself fit/Fitness Parameter:-
How to get fit for the Prashar Lake trek?
The Prashar Lake trek is assessed as a simple trek. From Kantlu at 6,050 feet, you’ll gain regarding 2,000 feet to Prashar Lake. This could build the trek quite strict.
This trek needs a decent quantity of vas endurance. You’ll be able to begin by cardiopulmonary exercise every day. Begin jogging at a slow pace then keep increasing your pace day by day. So as to be ready for prime altitude trek, you ought to have a mix of distance and speed targets.
Here’s a fitness routine that works:
In case you’re simply beginning with a daily fitness routine, terminate your distance targets within the following manner –
–>Target finishing five metric linear unit in forty five minutes once you begin.
–> bit by bit increase your pace by running four times every week and produce it all the way down to five metric linear unit in forty minutes.
–>If you’re 45 years or higher than, try and cowl 5km in but 45 minutes.
If you’re someone you prefers athletics over running, then try and cowl eighteen metric linear unit in hr.
How to send us a proof of your fitness routine? It is not mandatory on this trek, but you can still send us.
Record your run on associate app like Nike Run. Begin recording your run once you begin running. At the top of your run, hit the stop button.
Working out inside
If you can’t quit and jog owing to time and area constraints, here’s a video you’ll be able to use to figure out inside.
Things to take/Essential things to take:-
What to take on the Prashar Lake trek?
- Trekking shoes: The trek distance is long and you will have to walk for long distances which need you to have comfortable trekking shoes. You can watch this video to learn to choose the right trekking shoes.
- Backpack (40-60 liters): A backpack with sturdy straps and a supporting frame. Rain cover for backpack is essential.
- Daypack (20 liters): As this is a crossover trek, you would only need a daypack if you are offloading your backpack.
On a trek, carry fewer garments than you’d unremarkably want. Don’t pack for ‘what if situations’. Which will solely increase the burden of your backpack and not be used on the trek. Once your garments get warm au courant a trek, you’ll not desire ever-changing. Simply maintain personal hygiene.
- Three Warm Layers: You will be trekking and camping at high altitudes. The Bhojbasa campsite is especially windy. So make sure you have the apt clothes for the climatic conditions. It will be cold at the higher altitudes so make sure you have at least three layers of warm clothes to protect yourself.
- Two trek pants: One pair of pants should suffice for this trek. But you can carry one spare pair in case the first one gets wet. Wear one pair and carry one pair. Denim/jeans and shorts are not suitable for trekking.
- Three collared t-shirts: Carry light, full sleeved t-shirts that prevent sun burns on the neck and arms. Let one of these be a dry-fit t-shirt. It will dry quickly in case you are trekking on a rainy day. A common mistake that trekkers make is not changing their t-shirts often enough. Regardless of how cold it is, the body tends to sweat a lot. Trekkers who don’t change to fresh clothes after reaching the campsite fall ill due to wet clothes and are often unable to complete their trek.
- Thermals (Optional): Those who are more susceptible to cold can carry thermals to wear at night.
- Sunglasses: Sunglasses are to prevent snow blindness.
- Sun cap: The sun is harsher at high altitudes so wear a sun cap to protect your face and neck.
- Synthetic hand gloves: One pair of fleece or woolen hand gloves. One pair of water proof/resistant, wind proof gloves.
- Balaclava: You may use woolen scarves instead as well.
- Socks (2 pairs): Apart from two sports socks, you can take a pair of woolen socks for the night.
- Headlamp/LED torch: Mandatory
- Trekking pole:
- Daypack (20 liters): If you are offloading your backpack, you will need a smaller backpack to carry water, medical kit and some light snacks.
- Toiletries: Sunscreen, moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, toilet paper, toothbrush, toothpaste, hand sanitizer. Do not carry wet wipes since these are not biodegradable. If you do happen to use wet wipes to clean up after a trek, make sure you bring them back with you. The same holds for used sanitary napkins. Carry a zip lock bag to put used wet tissues and napkins. Bring this zip lock bag back with you to the city and do not dispose wet tissues and sanitary napkins in the mountains.
- Cutlery: Carry a spoon, coffee mug and a lunch box. We insist on trekkers getting their own cutlery for hygiene reasons.
- Two water bottles: 1 liter each
- Plastic covers: While packing, use plastic bags to compartmentalize things and carry few extra plastic bags for wet clothes.
Mandatory Personal Medical Kit
- Diamox – 10 tablets
- Dexamethasone – one strip
- Nifedipine – 5 tablets
- Crocin – 6 tablets (fever)
- Avomine – 4 tablets (motion sickness)
- Avil 25mg – 4 tablets (allergies)
- Combiflam – 4 tablets (Pain killer)
- Norflox TZ & Lomofen– 6 tablets each (diarrhea)
- Digene – 10 tablets (acidity)
- Omez/ Rantadine – 10 tablets (antacids)
- Crepe bandage – 3 to 5 meters
- Gauze – 1 small roll
- Band aid – 10 strips
- Cotton – 1 small roll
- ORS – 10 packets
- Betadine or any antiseptic cream
- Moov spray (aches, & sprains)
- Knee cap, if you are prone to knee injury
- Anti-fungal powder
Please email a scan of your ID document (PAN, Aadhar card or Voter ID) to your Ground Coordinator as soon as you have finished registering for the trek. If you submit the Aadhar card or Voter ID scans, please make sure that we get both the side. This is required in advance to get the necessary trekking permissions.
- Original and photocopy of government photo identity card- (driving license, voters ID, etc.)
- Medical Certificate and Disclaimer (to be filled by the trekker)
- Medical certificate (to be filled by a doctor)
Map & gettings there/Map:-
How to get to the basecamp – Baggi
Delhi/Chandigarh → Mandi → Baggi Village
The Prashar Lake trek starts at Baggi, around twenty seven metric linear unit from Mandi. Arranges transport from Mandi stop. The value is enclosed in your trek fee.
Reaching Mandi from Delhi
If you’re using transport, take a Volvo bus from metropolis to Mandi in Himachal. Any bus plying to Kullu or Manali can go via Mandi. Volvo buses by Himachal Roadways and Himachal business enterprise ply daily from Himachal Bhawan in metropolis. It takes around 10-12 hours (430 km) to succeed in Mandi from metropolis.
Reaching Mandi from Chandigarh
The Volvo bus journey from Chandigarh to Mandi takes 6-7 hours. The roads area unit in physical fitness until Mandi, aside from a number of sections between Chandigarh and Bilaspur.
Baggi Village → Mandi → Delhi/Chandigarh
Drops trekkers back to Mandi by around 6.00 pm. Buses from Manali to metropolis meet up with Mandi between 7.00 and 8.30 pm. it’s counseled that you simply book your tickets before the trek, and co-ordinate with the bus conductors for your devour from Mandi.
How safe is the Prashar Lake trek?
The Prashar Lake trek by is meant to be a simple trek. The being a simple trek there are a unit bound things that you simply should remember of before you proceed the trek. The primary factor is that this trek encompasses a heap of steep climbs in an exceedingly very short time span. You climb associate altitude of just about 4,000 foot that is sort of tons. Second factor you want to watch out for area unit leeches. You’ll notice tons of leeches particularly if you’re entering into the time of year.
Safety of a traveler comes initial. You’ll expertise it initial hand on the slope. Your team is in the middle of intimate trek leaders, safety gears, high finish trek instrumentation, high altitude care kits and most significantly the proper info.
If there’s a medical emergency on the trek, your trek leader’s area unit trained to handle crisis, particularly associated with altitude and medical emergencies. Team carries high altitude medical equipment, oxygen cylinders, and other emergency kits.
Most things area unit resolved by the trek leader’s intervention. If, however, evacuation is needed, it’s dole out. There are a unit many exit points throughout the trek thus any evacuation required is taken care of. The affected participant is moved all the way down to the closest emergency medical Centre as shortly as attainable. This could take time, even 1-2 days, particularly from high camps. Medical expenses, if needed, at the medical Centre area unit to be borne by the participant.
What does to ensure your safety?
Our philosophy is straightforward. We tend to ingrain safety aspects within the individuals we tend to work with, within the processes that we tend to follow, and within the instrumentation we stock. All our trek leaders’ area unit trained repeatedly on issues of safety and protocols. Most problems area unit resolved with their intervention.
Right from the time you choose to register for the trek until the day of reckoning of the trek, these safety procedures are going to be running within the background. We’ve got listed a number of them below:
1. Fitness criteria before registration
Over years of organizing high altitude treks, we’ve got found that safety issues thrive amongst people who are unfit and unprepared for the trek. therefore we’ve got introduced AN eligibility criteria for the Prashar lake trek. Anyone who needs to register for the Prashar lake trek needs to meet the fitness needs, with the perfect BMI. The BMI and fitness regime would force proof. A high altitude trek isn’t to be taken nonchalantly.
2. Monitoring health on a trek
On the Prashar lake trek, your Trek Leader are observation 2 aspects thrice on a daily basis.
- Element Level
This will facilitate us make sure that your body is acclimatizing. Your pressure level levels are checked if the requirement arises.
3. High Altitude Medical Kit
Your trek leader are carrying a full-fledged high altitude medical kit. This can embody basic medicines and specific medicines occupation to hypoxia – Diamox, Dexone (tablets and injections) and Procardia. Your Trek Leader also will be carrying a transportable element cylinder throughout the trek. Additionally thereto, there are element cylinders put in in the slightest degree high altitude campsites for any emergency things.
4. High Altitude Trek Equipment
To ensure safe trekking on snowy piece of land, can offer you with micro-spikes to connect to your shoes. This can provide you with sensible traction on exhausting snow. To avoid snow from getting into your shoes, can offer you with gaiters that you simply will placed on over your shoes. You may have qualified technical guides with you, WHO can lead the means on troublesome piece of land.
All our sleeping baggage and tents square measure custom for top altitude. If it’s cold outside, it’ll be around ten degrees hotter within the tent. The sleeping baggage will face up to temperatures up to -10 degree Celsius.
With of these processes and instrumentality in situ, you’ll be rest assured that you simply can have a secure trek with.
Nevertheless, you may got to use caution and report the slightest of symptoms to your trek leader as shortly as you’re feeling them.
5. Being hydrated and well-nourished on the trek
You need to drink a minimum of four litres of water on a daily basis throughout the trek to make sure that you’re well hydrous. De-hydration on a trek will cause you to lose energy terribly quickly and intensify the results of AMS. Your trek leader can transient you concerning the number of water that you simply got to carry with you at the beginning of every day in addition as water sources on the path.
We provide trekkers with nourishing meals to make sure that they’re energized to complete the path daily. Aside from this, snacks or packed lunch is provided where the path before a meal break is probably going to be long. Ensure that you simply don’t skip any meal as this may cause serious health emergencies on high altitudes.
Cancelation policy/Terms & Cancelation Policy:-
What you need to know about the trek fee
The trek fee of Rs. 2,750 + 5% GST covers all costs of the trek from Mandi to Mandi.
Here is what the trek fee includes:
- Accommodation – Stay at Prashar Lake is included. You will staying in dorms.
- Meals – All meals breakfast on Day 1 to lunch on Day 2 are included.
- Transport – Transport from Mandi to Kantlu on Day 1 and return to Mandi is included.
- Camping charges – All trekking permits and forest camping charges are included.
- Trekking equipment – You will stay in dorms on this trek. We provide ice axes, roped, micro spikes, gaiters etc. as required.
- Safety equipment – First aid, medical kit, oxygen cylinders, stretchers etc. will be available at all campsites to deal with emergencies.
- Services of an expert Trek Leader – All our trek leaders are qualified in basic / advanced mountaineering courses.
- Services of an expert Trek Team – The mountain staff on this trek consists of well trained guides, cooks, helpers and porters.
Here is what the trek fee excludes:
- Food during transit to and from the base camp – The trek fee does not include meals purchased during the journey to Kantlu village and back.
- Backpack offloading charges – If you wish to offload your backpack, there will be an additional charge of Rs. 500 + 5% GST. The backpack cannot weigh more than 9 kgs. Suitcases/strolleys/duffel bags will not be allowed. Please note that charges will vary for last minute offloading in case you decide to offload your bag after reaching Mandi (Rs.335 per day + 5% GST). Online offloading in advance is possible up to two days prior to the trek start date.
- Stay at Mandi on the last day
- Personal expenses of any kind
- Anything apart from inclusions
Terms & Conditions
1. Cancellation: If a trek is termed off at the last moment because of a natural calamity/unforeseen circumstances (like rains, earthquake, landslides, strike, bandh etc), can issue a trek voucher for the total quantity. The voucher will be ransomed for constant trek or another trek within the next one year.
In case, you would like to cancel your trek, please login to your account and cancel. Cancellation requests won’t be seized phone or email.
The cancellation charges area unit as under:
- Cancellations before seven days from the beginning of the trek — full refund.
- Cancellations but seven days from the beginning of the trek — no refund.
Please note: just in case of refund, there’ll be a deduction of four-dimensional (cancellation charges) from the entire fee you’ve got paid. Also, if you’ve got opted for a trek insurance, the number won’t be refunded.
2. The trek fee: Includes all prices of the trek from the beginning at the Kantlu village to the top at Kantlu, and transportation from and to Mandi.
3. Pick up: Trekkers area unit picked up from Mandi bus stand at six.30 am. Usually, trekker’s area unit clubbed alongside alternative participants to form a gaggle.
4. Transport: Transport from Mandi to Kantlu village and come back from Kantlu village to Mandi are going to be organized by us.
5. Backpack offloading: Expects all trekkers to hold their own backpacks. All common gear are going to be carried by the support team. If for a few reason a traveler is unable to hold his or her backpack, he/she will offload constant by paying a further charge.
Backpack offloading charges area unit Rs.500/- and GST of fifty. Charges for minute offloading throughout the trek are going to be Rs. 335 per day and GST 0f five-hitter. The backpack cannot weigh quite nine weight unit. No suitcases/strollers/duffel luggage are going to be allowed. On-line offloading prior to be feasible up to 2 days before the trek begin date.
6. Emergency during trek: In an exceedingly trek a medical emergency or the other emergency might arise. If for any reason you’re sent down from the trek then can build arrangements for your come back to the bottom camp or nearest road head. An employees can accompany you. He might not be a trained personnel.
Evacuation or addressing emergencies is extraordinarily tough within the mountains. It’s time intense still. A traditional trek of two hours might take six hours in associate emergency. Doctors don’t go alongside a team. Doctors aren’t out there at the bottom camp or nearest road head either. Trek leaders area unit trained to administer care and skills to touch upon problems associated with the mountains. However, they’re not doctors.
Registering for this trek is associate perceiving that you simply have scan informed the difficulties of high altitude trekking and understand the risks. You’ve got additionally understood what AMS, HAPE and HACE area unit. You’ve got taken efforts to coach yourself and you’re in an exceedingly position to manage your own altitude connected emergency.
7. Fitness: A high altitude trek within the Himalaya needs goodish fitness. Your body has to train itself to method a lot of work with lower levels of atomic number 8. Therefore, on treks, vas coaching is critically necessary. You would like to be able to jog a distance of four.5 metric linear unit in thirty minutes before begin of the trek. Unable to try and do thus will build your trek tough. Additionally, preparation of trek has to embody strength and suppleness coaching. Registering for the trek is associate understanding that you simply can undertake the mandated fitness coaching. Trekkers United Nations agency haven’t adequately ready is also asked to discontinue the trek at any purpose. The proper to reject candidates United Nations agency don’t meet our eligibility demand at the bottom camp.
8. Non-liability: Isn’t liable for any loss/damage of your gears/equipment or alternative belongings on the trek.
9. Payment: Payment for the trek will be done on-line through credit/debit card or web banking. Cheque/draft or money isn’t accepted.
10. Drinking and smoking: During the trek is strictly prohibited. If found flouting the foundations, your participation on the trek are going to be off with immediate result.
11. Safety Protocol
a. whereas our itineraries area unit designed to permit for adequate acclimation, most treks in Indian the Himalaya climb quickly, that is termed forced accents. Inconvenience of camp sites and also the Indian mountain chain tract area unit the reason for this. There are a unit chances that you simply can feel the results of hypoxia and atomic number 8 deprivation whereas on this trek. Please remember that your trek leader might reckon it unsafe for you to continue trekking at any time, and organize for you to descend to a lower angle.
b. Our trek leaders can conduct routine health checks the least bit camps to live atomic number 8 saturation, pulse and pressure level. Reserves the proper to exclude any traveler from rising higher on the trek while not refund if the trekker’s important readings area unit below accepted norms for that altitude. These norms area unit out there with trek leaders.
c. this is often a high altitude trek with rough, rocky and snowy tract. It’s necessary that you simply area unit a match and assured walker in mountain tract, able to manage ascents and descents by yourself among an inexpensive time. Please realistically self-assess your fitness and quality for this trek before registering.