Why Kashmir Great Lakes is the Prettiest Trek in India
Kashmir Lake is that the prettiest trek in India. Some treks likened to that, however at the top of the day, it’s continually the Kashmir Lake that’s our most stunning trek.
It is not on each trek that you just get to see five beautiful alpine lakes. Every lake competitor with the opposite in beauty that’s almost divine. What’s a lot of, these lakes return one right when the opposite. Therefore everyday there’s a new one to seem forward to.
What makes these lakes even prettier are the snow patches that feed these lakes. You see them slippery off the mountain into the lakes. Generally you’ll see milk like white icebergs floating on the lake’s achromatic blue surface.
What is even lovelier are the plush inexperienced, grassy shores of the lakes. To urge an opportunity to travel for a protracted walk on the shores of those lakes is pure trekking elation.
Then there are the gorgeous meadows of geographic region. They’re gift on day after day of the trek. These meadows are available each form and size, generally several in a day. On the primary day, clumps of maple and pine grow like an oasis in these meadows. On the second day, they recite a pass down a large valley wherever horses run and sheep graze. On the third day, just under the Gadsar pass, wildflowers grow in wild abandon on these meadows. On the fourth day, the grassy plain of Satsar looks almost manicured – with a twinkling stream flight through it.
Suffice to mention, if you have got not done the KGL, then you have got not done the foremost stunning trek in India.
Day 1: Reach Shitkadi
The trek begins at Shitkadi, that could be a few kilometers previous Sonamarg. You may need to reach Srinagar on your own and meet the obtain team at two.30 pm. The drive to the bottom camp can take around four hours.
- Altitude: 7, 800 ft.
- Time taken: four hours’ drive (2,377 m)
Day 2: Sonamarg to Nichnai via Shekdur
- Altitude: 7,800 ft. (2,377 m) to 11,500 ft. (3,505 m)
- Time taken: 6 hours, 9 km
- Trek gradient: Moderate. 3 hours of steep ascent followed by descent for an hour. Final 2 hours, a gentle ascent to Nichnai.
- Water sources: Carry sufficient water from Sonmarg.
The trek starts three click out of Sonamarg, on the Srinagar road. Specifically at the three click mark, you may spot a lone Dhaba on the correct. The place sells packaged water, biscuits and other edibles and is your last place to select up short chuck. The next trace of civilization is merely at Naranag, where the trek ends. Today’s trek consists of a three hour ascent followed by a one hour descent and eventually a gentle two hour ascent to Nichnai. An auto track diverts to the correct off the most road at the look. The track goes all the way down to the extent of the Sindh stream that flows in between the mud track and therefore the highway. The trekking path starts on the track however quickly diverts in a higher place. Ten minutes into the trek, the path bends left and enters a green meadow. This directly overlooks Sonamarg city.
In half an hour you’re at the highest of the grassland wherever Maple and Pine trees begin. At the tree line, the path quickly descends to a small brook so climbs once more. What follows next could be a pretty dense forest of Maple trees. Walking on the green bed of grass amidst the Maples is an expertise distinctive to Kashmir in India. For consequent hour and a half, the path finally ends up through the Maple trees. Keep on with the path heading uphill because the one happening heads to a number of the close villages. The trees cave in to clearings in between. Circle and see the read of the Sonamarg valley that gets higher and fuller as you gain height. The Maple forest ends at the highest of the ridge and, on the other side, a grassland gently slopes down. Pay a couple of moments at the ridge grasping the Sonamarg read and it’s near valley. The streams, the meadows, the pines and therefore the city close in them build an exquisite image.
The climb is currently over and therefore the path slopes down into a grassland. The grassland is lined on the left by Betula pendula trees and a couple of shepherds’ huts. The carpet of inexperienced rolls down from the trees to the top of the forty feet wide grassland. Tiny brooks that cross the grassland function water sources. On the correct are tiny peaks with snow powdery topnotch. This can be Shekdur.
Shekdur could be a stunning grassland enclosed by Bhoj trees. Have lunch here before moving ahead to Nichnai. The grassland of Shekdur stretches for 0.5 associate hour. The mild descent on the grassland ends in an exceedingly forest of Bhoj or Betula pendula. Take the path that goes within the middle of the forest and still descend gently. Be careful for the sun rays creating their approach in between the thick foliage giving out stunning light-weight and dark rays. In forty five minutes, you reach the top of the Birch trees and therefore the path goes down and climbs back to a stream natural depression. The stream natural depression is that the starting of Nichnai.
The path now could be on the correct bank of the stream going upstream. Look behind to envision snow-covered peaks from Sonamarg natural depression. You’re currently in an exceedingly wide natural depression however embowered by mountains on either aspect. The river, that joins the Sindh eventually, flows in speed through the natural depression. The primary half-hour is over the rocks and your mules can walk terribly slowly up here. Associate hour into the stream natural depression, inexperienced patches innocent of rocks open up. The stream natural depression widens and you’ll be able to see the inexperienced grassland widening in between the 2mountain ranges. So much ahead lie triangular twin snow-covered peaks. Opt for a flat ground to pitch tents and finish the primary day’s trek.
Day 3: Nichnai to Vishnusar Lake.
Explore Vishnusar & Kishansar twin lakes
- Altitude: 11,500 ft. (3,505 m) to 12,000 ft. (3,658 m)
- Time: 6 hours, 12 km
- Trek gradient: Moderate. 1.5 hours of gradual ascent followed by an hour long climb to the pass. Steep descent from the pass for about an hour easing off into a flat walk.
- Water sources: Carry sufficient water from Nichnai. You will find sources along the trail to refill your water bottles.
The day’s trek could be a long walk on meadows with the scenery ever-changing for the higher right along. Begin by 8:00 am to offer yourself enough time on the way to fancy the meadows. Your initial milestone for the day is that the Nichnai pass or Vishnusar Berry. The pass is visible at a distance from the camp website. It lies simply to the correct of the dual snow-covered peaks.
The pass is deceptive such the ridge seen from the grassland below isn’t the pass. The path turns inwards double and solely then will the Nichnai pass return up. From the Nichnai pass, observe the Sonamarg natural depression. Nichnai pass is at associate altitude of 13,500 ft. On the left are the classic snow-covered Himalayan Mountains however notice on your right, gray and barren mountains resembling the Ladakh ranges.
Walk along, in between the 2 ranges, over the plush inexperienced carpet of grass. 2 main streams flow through the natural depression. Stick getting ready to the stream on the left, another stream flows sheer from your left to your right. This stream originates at the Vishnusar Lake that could be a bit higher on your left.
The primary impression you get on seeing the Vishnusar Lake is that it’s massive. It lies close below four mountains. The Kishansar peak reflects within the lake. The reflections are wondrous once the lake remains. The color of the lake depends on the time of the day and therefore the clouds within the sky. Early within the morning, before the sun very shines, expect clear colorless water. The lake starts obtaining its colors once the sun shines. On a transparent sunny morning, the water is completely blue. Clouds and therefore the evening sun build it look cobalt blue within the latter half the day. No matter be the color, the lake appearance wondrous and its price catching a glimpse of the lake all told its hues.
The 2 lakes are just one.2 km apart, there’s no purpose wherever the 2 lakes are visible along. Kishansar is additionally massive and blue. It’s giant grassland stretching on its right. The lake and therefore the grassland are lined on the farther aspect by a ridge line that raises sharply. The path climbs up to the highest of the ridge and on the highest of this ridge is that the Gadsar pass.
Day 4: Vishnusar to Gadsar via Kishansar Lake and Gadsar Pass
- Altitude: 12,000 ft (3,658 m) to 12,500 ft (3,810 m) via 13,800 ft (4,206 m)
- Time taken: 5 hours, 10 km
- Trek gradient: Moderate. 1.5-2 hours of steep ascent followed by 1 hour of steep descent, easing off into a level walk.
- Water sources: Carry sufficient water from Vishnusar. You will find sources along the trail to refill your water bottles.
The next a part of the trek is from Kishansar lake aspect to the highest of the ridge. You see a pencil skinny line traversing through the mountain aspect. That’s your track to follow. Perpetually keep on with the one going higher although any of them can take you to the highest.
The read of the dual lakes lasts until you reach the ridge prime or the Pass. This can be known as the Gadsar pass – altitude 13,800 foot – the best purpose on this trek. The trek could be a steep two hour ascent followed by a steep descent followed by a delicate go in the meadows. On the opposite aspect of the Gadsar pass stretches a protracted natural depression with 2-3 tiny lakes visible. So much within the distance lie a series of snow-covered peaks. The peaks lie outside our Line of management. It’s not uncommon to search out snow at the Gadsar pass and additionally within the initial components of the descent to the opposite aspect.
Day 5: Gadsar to Satsar
- Altitude: 12,500 ft (3,810 m) to 12,000 ft (3,658 )m
- Time taken: 6 hours, 12 km
- Trek gradient: Moderate; 1.5 hours of steep ascent followed by a level walk.
- Water sources: Carry at least 2 litres of water from Gadsar. You will find rivulets along the trail but the water might not be suitable to drink.
After crossing the stream, take the path that goes up the mountain. The path currently seems like a typical Western Ghats path. The piece of ground feels terribly similar. You’re simply on top of the timberline. Trees and therefore the stream natural depression are visible below you. Long climb takes you up by 1,100 feet. Once on the far side the 11,500 feet altitude, the climb graduates to a traverse. The path bends spherical to the left and leaves the stream natural depression. You’re currently walking on a flat path enclosed by mountains on a grassland. To your right are a couple of deep craters. This place is termed as Maengandob. The landscape ahead is fascinating. Isolated mountains exchange front. Towards the correct could be a tiny ridge. In between could be a flat inexperienced bed with a stream flowing through. Value more highly to camp here if Gadsar Lake was your last camp. If the military camp is wherever you started, it is sensible to hide a bit a lot of distance these days and camp close to the primary of the Satsar lakes. Satsar is truly a group of seven lakes. You’ll be able to realize four or five lakes with water, reckoning on the season. On the far side the ridge, on the correct, is that the Satsar army check post. It’s the third line of defense from the LOC. constant method of identity checking, assortment and questioning repeats here.
Day 6: Satsar to Gangabal twin lakes
- Altitude: 12,000 ft (3,658 m) to 11,500 ft (3,505 m)
- Time taken: 6 hours, 9 km
- Trek gradient: Difficult. 30 minutes each of gradual ascent and descent followed by a steep ascent for about 45 and then by a steep descent. Similarly ascending and descending trail all the way through.
- Water sources: Carry 2 liters of water. You will find a stream mid-way during the descent to refill your water bottles.
Mild ascent followed by gradual descent followed by long steep ascent and long steep descent followed by gradual up and down walk. The day’s trek goes up and down replicating the trek as a full that largely goes up and down. The piece of groundis rocky and it’s a lot of a boulder hopping exercise than anything. The most important of the Satsar lakes is additionally the last within the sequence. When the last lake the path starts to descend. Take the zigzag angular shape pony track to climb up to the highest of the primary ridge. A forty five minute trek with restricted breaks can see you on prime of the primary ridge. Once on prime, you see 2 a lot of ridges to climb. The path from the bottom to prime is barren and rocky. Wanting behind at the other mountains, spot the Gujjar huts amidst the tall pines. The mountains here and therefore the leafage on the opposite aspect.
A total 2 hour ascent brings you to the highest of the third ridge. The measuring device reads regarding 13,400 feet. The simplest half but is that the surprise read you get from the ridge prime. The 2 lakes lie next to 1 another. A stream takes water from the upper lake to the lower. If you look keenly, 2 a lot of blue lakes are seen, one on either aspect at a distance. The smaller lakes are unnamed however the most important amongst the set is that the Gangabal. Its companion is that the Nandkol. You currently recognize your destination. It is 1,400 feet below you. The route descends a touch a lot of and ascends once more to the lake. Take footage of either side and brace yourself for a steep stony descent. Your destination is either the Gangabal or the Nandkol. The destination is seen however appears secluded.
A quick climb, a shorter descent and a stream organic process a picket log bridge brings you to the shores of Nandkol Lake. Notice that this lake isn’t as pristine because the alternative lakes you saw on the trek. Remnants of encampment are all around. Heap of individuals trek up from Naranag to Gangabal and return as a weekend outing.
The Nandkol Lake lies at the bottom of the Harmukh peak. The Harmukh ice mass hangs on the edges of the rocky edges of the mountain. Each the Gangabal and Nandkol are illustrious for trout fishing. The Gangabal Lake is regarding twenty minutes faraway from Nandkol. A fiery stream flows on the correct of the 2 lakes connecting them. The stream must be crossed to travel to Gangabal from Nandkol. Don’t attempt to cross the stream at the lower levels however go all the thanks to the bank of Gangabal and on the correct you discover a decent artificial bridge ordered out. Gangabal is large. A parikrama of either of the lakes can simply take associate hour.
Day 7: Gangabal to Naranag
- Altitude: 11,500 ft (3,505 m) to 7,450 ft (2,271 m)
- Time taken: 6 hours, 11 km
- Trek gradient: Mix of ascents and descents for 6 km followed by a very steep descent all the way down.
- Water sources: Carry sufficient water from Sonmarg. You will find sources along the trail to refill your water bottles.
The day’s trek could be a killer on your toes and knees, it’s a gradual descent followed by steep descent. From the Gangabal camp website head down on the stream towards the timberline. Don’t walk beside the stream however walk on the ridge on the correct.
The Harmukh peak appearance spectacular after you recollect. The inexperienced grassland has very little yellow flowers growing everywhere and you begin walking cautious to avoid stepping over them.
An hour out of the camp website, you hit the fringes of the timberline. Pine trees line the meadows and you furthermore might see traces of civilization with the presence of a log hut. Don’t walk into the forest directly however keep on with its fringes and walk towards the correct. As a trademark of this trek, you don’t lose altitude currently however begin to climb up a touch. You drop to 10,800 feet at the timberline however climb once more to 11,000 feet. For regarding half-dozen click you ne’er very lose altitude and you’re forever round the 10,800 feet mark, creating your approach in and out of the Pine forest and eventually getting into it totally.
Only when walking for 2/3 of the space will actuality descent begin? The descent is currently very steep. The path could be a well-trodden, muddy one through the thick of the pines. The last four click see you dropping over 3,000 ft. It’s not rare to identify loads of individuals trekking over here from Naranag, headed to Gangabal. Naranag slowly comes seeable at around 8,500 foot however there’s quite a bit a lot of to travel. The last stretch of the Last Judgment will become associate endurance check however presently the stone paved village track comes up and in no time you enter the most road of Naranag.
Mobile connectivity and ATM point
Please note that paid SIM cards don’t add geographic region. Build all of your necessary phone calls at Srinagar since mobile property when this can be terribly poor. Please inform anxious members of the family regarding poor property throughout the trek.
While Kangan, on the thanks to Sonmarg, has an ATM, we tend to don’t stop there unless it’s associate emergency. Hence, it’s recommended that you just withdraw cash, if needed, at Srinagar.
Please note that prepaid SIM cards do not work in Kashmir.
Day 1: Reach Sonamarg. Transport will be organized at Sathu, Barbara monarch Chowk, close to Flourmill, Srinagar. Cost of 5-6 setter cab is around between trekkers.
Day 2: Sonamarg (7,780 ft) to Nichnai (11,838 ft); 9.6 km, 6.5 hours
Day 3: Nichnai (11,838 ft) to Vishnusar (12,011 ft); twelve.5 km, 7 hours
Day 4: Vishnusar (12,011 ft) to Gadsar (12,200 ft) via Gadsar Pass (13,850 ft); eleven.5 km, 7.5 hours
Day 5: Gadsar (12,200 ft) to Satsar (12,100 ft); 8.6 km, 4.5 hours
Day 6: Satsar (12,100 ft) to Gangabal (11,651 ft); 9.5 km, 6 hours
Day 7: Gangabal (11,500 ft) to Naranag (7,450 ft) and drive to Srinagar; eleven kilometer, 6 hours. May reach Srinagar by 8.00 pm
Please note that you just are going to be staying in tents on all days of the trek (3 per tent). Trekkers have to be compelled to create their own arrangement for keep in Srinagar on Day seven.
Get yourself fit/Fitness Parameter:-
How to prepare for the Kashmir Great Lakes trek
Kashmir Lake could be a moderate to difficult trek. You cowl a median of 10 kilometer on a daily basis. In 4 days you gain an altitude of 8,550 feet. If you wish to try to this trek well and revel in all its wonderful views, you may need to prepare well.
Cardiovascular endurance – Target 10 km in 60 minutes before the start of the trek
The Lake could be a moderate to difficult trek. You cowl a median of 10 kilometer on a daily basis. In 4 days you gain an altitude of 8,550 feet. If you wish to try to this trek well and revel in all its wonderful views, you may need to prepare well.
Here’s a fitness routine that works:
In case you’re just starting with a regular fitness routine, phase out your distance targets in the following manner –
–>Target finishing five kilometer in thirty five minutes once you begin.
–> step by step increase your pace by running four times every week and convey it all the way down to five kilometer in but thirty five minutes.
–>This holds true for trekkers on top of forty five years additionally.
If you’re someone you prefers sport over running, then try and cowl twenty two kilometer in hr.
How to send us a proof of your fitness routine?
Record your run on an app like Nike Run. Start recording your run when you start running. At the end of your run, hit the stop button.
Take a screenshot of the summary of your run. We will need a detailed split of each kilometer of your run. This is usually integrated in all running apps.
Note: Make sure your GPS is on when you record your run. If the GPS is off, we will not accept the screenshot.
Upload two screenshots 10 days prior to the start of the trek — one of you covering 5km in less than 35 mines along with your picture and the other with splits of your run.
Strength – Target 4 sets of squats with 20 in each
There is a lot of trekking distance that you will cover in high altitude carrying your backpacks. You have to walk on uneven terrain during the trek. It could be taxing for legs. For this, strengthening legs will help. You can do some squats to strengthen them. Start with 3 sets of squats, with 8 squats in each set and work towards reaching your target in 3 weeks.
Another aspect that will help to trek comfortably is flexibility. For this, can do some stretching exercises – stretch hamstrings, quadriceps, and hip flexors, lower back muscles and shoulders regularly. On your trek, it is important that arrive on the slopes with your muscles relaxed. Carrying a backpack, however light, can become a strain after a while. These exercises will help to be in good shape before the trek.
Working out indoors
If you can’t go out and jog because of time and space constraints, here’s a video you can use to work out indoors.
Things to take/Essential things to take:-
What you need to carry on the Kashmir Great Lakes trek
Click here to buy trek equipment.
Once you’ve decided to go on any trek, the first two things to need to purchase are trekking shoes and a backpack.
- Trekking shoes: Not sports shoes. The shoes need to have soles with good grip and ankle support .Wear the shoes for a week prior to the trek to avoid shoe bites/blisters on slope. You can watch this video to learn to choose the right trekking shoes.
- Backpack (40-60 litres): Backpack with sturdy straps and a supporting frame. Rain cover for backpack is essential.
The Kashmir Great Lakes trek is organized in the months of July, August and September. Expect light showers during these months.
On a trek, carry fewer clothes than would normally need. Do not pack for ‘what if situations’. That will only add to the weight of backpack and not be used on the trek. Once clothes get warmed up on a trek, will not feel like changing. Just maintain personal hygiene.
- Full sleeve woolens (2 pairs including the one you are wearing): We endorse fleece over wool as it is light weight, compact and warm. It is better to layer your clothing with multiple light sweaters than to carry one thick heavy jacket.
- Thick jacket: Carry 1 full sleeve windproof jacket/down jacket.
- Trek pants (3 pairs including the one you are wearing): We highly endorse synthetic quick-dry pants as they are light. Plus, when it’s cold you can wear one over the other. While trekking, a pair is what you would carry apart from the worn. You could keep the third pair for your return journey. Alternative would be cotton pants with many pockets or track pants. Jeans, shorts and 3/4 pants are not suitable for trekking.
- Collared t-shirts (3 pairs including the one you are wearing): Preferably light, full sleeve t-shirts that prevent sun burns on the neck and arms. Avoid loud colors that would distract birds and animals. Let one of these be a dri-fit t-shirt. It will dry quickly in case you are trekking on a rainy day. A common mistake that trekkers make is not changing their tshirts often enough. Regardless of how cold it is, the body tends to sweat a lot. Trekkers who don’t change to fresh clothes after reaching the campsite fall ill due to wet clothes and are often unable to complete their trek. A common mistake that trekkers make is not changing their tshirts often enough. Regardless of how cold it is, the body tends to sweat a lot. Trekkers who don’t change to fresh clothes fall ill due to wet clothes and are often unable to complete their trek.
- Thermal (Mandatory): 1 pair of lightweight, upper and lower. Thermal inners are mandatory for those who are more sensitive to the cold.
- Sunglasses: Curved ones will cover eyes well. No blue colored sunglass — they don’t block UV. Blacks, greens, browns are fine. Avoid multi tone sunglasses. Sunglasses are to prevent snow blindness. People who wear spectacles, choose either contact lenses or photo chromatic glasses. If both are not possible, wear spectacles and carry big sunglass that can be worn over spectacles.
- Sun cap: To protect head from the direct heat of the sun, protect face and neck from sunburns. The cap must cover ears and neck.
- Synthetic hand gloves: One pair of fleece or woolen hand gloves. One pair of water proof/resistant, wind proof gloves.
- Balaclava: May use scarves as an alternative to balaclavas.
- Poncho: A lightweight poncho is preferred because unlike raincoats, it covers rucksack as well. A poncho is indispensable for the Great Lake trek as light showers are expected.
- Socks (3 pairs): 2 cotton pairs, 2 woolen pairs (mostly to be used on campsites and while sleeping. Keep them dry.)
- Headlamp/LED torch: Mandatory
- Trekking pole: Trekking pole is mandatory.
- Daypack (20 liters): It is mandatory to carry a daypack if you choose to offload your backpack. If you decide to carry your backpack, day pack is not required.
- Toiletries: Sunscreen – SPF 40+, moisturizer, light towel, lip balm/chap stick, small soap, toilet paper, toothbrush, toothpaste, hand sanitizer. Do not carry wet wipes since these are not biodegradable. If you do happen to use wet wipes to clean up after a trek, make sure you bring them back with you. The same holds for used sanitary napkins. Carry a zip lock bag to put used wet tissues and napkins. Bring this zip lock bag back with you to the city and do not dispose wet tissues and sanitary napkins in the mountains.
- Repair kit (needle & thread)
- Camera: Carry all accessories – spare batteries, charger, etc.
- Cutlery: Carry a spoon, coffee mug and a lunch box. We insist on trekkers getting their own cutlery for hygiene reasons. To save weight, you may use your lunch box instead of carrying a plate separately.
- Water bottles: 2 bottles, 1 Liter each. Packaged drinking water bottles like Aquafina, Bisleri and others are not allowed.
- Headlamp/LED torch: Mandatory
- Plastic covers: While packing, use plastic bags to compartmentalize things and carry few extra plastic bags for wet clothes. While packing, use plastic bags to compartmentalize things and carry few extra plastic bags for wet clothes.
If you are going shopping, download this list so you don’t miss out on anything! Download PDF
Mandatory Personal Medical Kit
- Diamox – 10 tablets (to prevent AMS)
- Dexamethasone – one strip
- Nifedipine – 5 tablets
- Crocin – 6 tablets (fever)
- Avomine – 4 tablets (motion sickness)
- Avil 25mg – 4 tablets (allergies)
- Combiflam – 4 tablets (Pain killer)
- Norflox TZ & Lomofen– 6 tablets each (diarrhea)
- Digene – 10 tablets (acidity)
- Omez/ Rantadine – 10 tablets (antacids)
- Crepe bandage – 3 to 5 meters
- Gauze – 1 small roll
- Band aid – 10 strips
- Cotton – 1 small roll
- ORS – 10 packets
- Betadine or any antiseptic cream
- Moov spray (aches, & sprains)
- Knee cap, if you are prone to knee injury
- Anti fungal powder
Please carry the below documents. Document two and three need to be downloaded (PDF), filled in, signed and handed over to the trek leader at the base camp.
Without these documents you will not be allowed on the trek.
- Original and photocopy of government photo identity card- (driving license, voters ID, etc.)
- Medical Certificate (first part to be filled by a doctor and second part by the trekker) – Download PDF
- Disclaimer form (to be filled by the trekker) – Download PDF
Map & getting’s there/Map:-
How to get to the basecamp – Sonamarg
Delhi → Srinagar → Sonamarg
The Kashmir lake trek starts from Sonamarg. It’s prompt to reach Srinagar on a daily basis before the trek because it helps in adjustment.
From Srinagar, organizes transport to Sonamarg. The fare of this transport isn’t enclosed within the fee. Value from Srinagar to Sonamarg is as follows
Naranag → Srinagar → Delhi
The Kashmir nice trek ends at Naranag. organizes this transport. This is often to be shared by fellow trekkers and paid to the motive force directly. May reach Srinagar by 6:30 pm. value of transport from Naranag to Srinagar are going to be as follows.
How safe is the Kashmir Great Lakes trek?
Kashmir Lake could be a high altitude trek. Naturally, the risks related to a high altitude trek area unit totally different from alternative treks. Trekkers can climb over 3,000 foot on Day a pair of that will increase the danger of acute altitude sickness since they’d not have had time to acclimatize to the altitude. Since later camps area unit at the same altitude, the danger reduces as move.
Have got registered for this trek, then here is a few info that just should apprehend so as to own a secure trek. Have a tendency to believe that as long as intelligent and well-prepared, survive simply at high altitudes.
What does to ensure your safety
Our philosophy is simple. We have a tendency to ingrain safety aspects within the individuals we have a tendency to work with, within the processes that we have a tendency to follow, and within the instrumentality we feature. All our trek leaders’ area unit trained repeatedly on questions of safety and protocols. Most problems area unit resolved with their intervention.
Right from the time opt to register for the trek until the crack of doom of the trek, these safety procedures are going to be running within the background. We’ve listed a number of them below:
1. Fitness criteria before registration
Over years of organizing high altitude treks, we’ve found that safety issues thrive amongst those that area unit unfit and unprepared for the trek. therefore we’ve introduced Associate in Nursing eligibility criteria for the Kashmir lake trek. Anyone who needs to register for the geographical region lake trek should meet the fitness necessities, with the perfect BMI. The BMI and fitness regime would require proof. A high altitude trek isn’t to be taken nonchalantly.
2. Monitoring health on a trek
On the Kashmir lake trek, your Trek Leader are going to be watching 2 aspects thrice on a daily basis.
- Gas Level
- Vital sign
Your force per unit area levels are going to be checked once on a daily basis.
This will facilitate North American country make sure that body is acclimatizing pro re nata.
Every traveler are going to be given a Health Card at the start of the trek. The Health Card is issued to observe the trekker’s daily health, whereby they’ll be coming into details concerning their health every day. It additionally contains details of what symptoms one ought to look out for and what action ought to be taken throughout emergencies. These Health Cards are going to be collected back at the tip of the trek.
3. High Altitude Medical Kit
Your trek leader are going to be carrying a full-fledged high altitude medical kit. This may embrace basic medicines and specific medicines line of work to hypoxia – Diamox, Decadron (tablets and injections) and calcium-channel blocker. Your Trek Leader also will be carrying a transportable gas cylinder throughout the trek. Additionally thereto, there are a unit gas cylinders put in in any respect high altitude campsites for any emergency things.
4. High Altitude Trek Equipment
To ensure safe trekking on snowy tract, can offer with micro-spikes to connect to shoes. This may offer you sensible traction on exhausting snow. To avoid snow from coming into shoes, can offer with gaiters that just will placed on over shoes. May have qualified technical guides with, United Nations agency can lead the means on troublesome tract.
All sleeping baggage and tents area unit tailor-made for top altitude. If it’s cold outside, it’ll be around ten degrees hotter within the tent. The sleeping baggage will stand up to temperatures up to -10 degree Centigrade.
5. Being hydrated and well-nourished on the trek
You need to drink a minimum of four liters of water daily throughout the trek to confirm that well hydrous. De-hydration on a trek will cause to lose energy terribly quickly and intensify the consequences of AMS. Your trek leader can temporary concerning the number of water that just have to be compelled to carry with at the beginning of every day in addition as water sources on the path.
We provide trekkers with alimental meals to confirm that they’re energized to complete the path on a daily basis. Except this, snacks or packed lunch is provided where the path before a meal break is probably going to be long. Confirm that just don’t skip any meal as this could result in serious health emergencies on high altitudes.
What you compulsorily need to know if you’re going on the Kashmir Great Lakes trek?
Acute Mountain Sickness:
At altitudes on top of 10,000 ft, the probabilities of being hit by acute altitude sickness cannot be dominated out. The danger is very high on the Day a combine of, once you reach Nichnai. Usually this can be often over a 3,000 ft. climb from Sonmarg. Gadsar is another place where you’ll have to be compelled to observe out.
At any site, inform your trek leader regarding your condition instantly if you identify any symptom of AMS. If the symptoms don’t alleviate it is best to maneuver all the means all the way down to a lower site.
This risk is also avoided by occurring a course of Diamox. Even whereas on Diamox, the danger of AMS still prevails. Whereas AMS is also treated with rest and medicines for the foremost 0.5, the symptoms ought to be recognized before it’ll head to advanced stages – High Altitude pulmonary oedema (HAPE) and High Altitude Cerebral oedema (HACE).
HAPE and HACE unit of measurement essential conditions which will be fatal at intervals hours. And they can occur whereas not AMS preceding them. Thus it’s doubly very important to recognize any symptoms and nip them at intervals the bud.
Take this specific precaution – prolong a preventive course of Diamox
We powerfully advise you to travel on a preventive course of Diamox. Diamox may be a blood agent and helps you adapt plenty of faster and reduces the chance of AMS by around eightieth. Take 0.5 a pill doubly on a day after day from within the future before your trek.
What to do if saw have symptoms of AMS?
If you feel any symptoms of AMS on the trek, you would like to report back to the Trek Leader instantly. Don’t wait till the tip of the day’s trek. Do not attempt to handle it yourself either. Trek Leaders unit of measurement well-trained and older to handle any cases which they’re aiming to be the selection makers in any such cases.
Points on the Kashmir Great Lakes trek
There aren’t any easy exit selections on this trek since it goes through style of high passes and valleys. Thence evacuation, simply just in case of an emergency, can take time. The slim and steep trails create this slower than a conventional descent.
The nearest medical Centre is at Sonmarg. However, the trek that crosses 3 high passes and valleys has no easy exit selections. Retracing the path may take one thing from 24-48 hours to induce somebody to a hospital.
Why you should personally know about the risks and precautions of high altitude treks
If ever you discover yourself alone at high altitude, either whereas trekking severally or with another organization, there unit of measurement some life -saving steps may take. Firstly, need to be ready to recognize symptoms of drive. Thus acquaint yourself with the symptoms.
Secondly, there could be instances once you got to administer medicines to yourself or to a fellow somebody. There unit of measurement three life-saving medicines that we have a tendency to suggest you always continue you – Diamox, Decadron and medicine.
If you are trekking with, do not administer these to anyone whereas not consulting your Trek Leader. If you’re trekking severally then you’d wish to grasp once exactly to administer these medicines and in what dose.
Also check that well hydrous throughout the trek and do not skip any meal.
We cannot stress enough on how important it is for you to communicate any symptom to your Trek Leader. Only then your trek leader will be able to take steps at the right time.
Acute Mountain Sickness
If you’re of the opinion that match people don’t get AMS, please get obviate that notion promptly. AMS will associate one whereas not paying heed to their fitness and former expertise at high altitude! Drive does not distinguish between a primary timer and an older somebody.
For additional careful data regarding acute hypoxia, you may transfer and study the manual below.
Cancelation policy/Terms & Cancelation Policy:-
What you need to know about the trek fee
The trek fee of Rs. 13,750 + 5% GST covers all costs of the trek from Sonamarg to Naranag.
Here is what the trek fee includes:
- Accommodation – Stay is included from Day 1 to Day 6 (Sonamarg to Gangabal). You will be camping on all days of the trek (3 per tent).
- Meals – All meals from dinner at Sonamarg on Day 1 to lunch at Naranag on Day 7 are included. We provide simple, nutritious vegetarian food on all days of the trek.
- Camping charges – All trekking permits and forest camping charges are included.
- Trekking equipment – You will stay in high quality tents and sleeping bags in all the camps. Our high altitude sleeping bags can withstand temperatures as low as -10 ºC. We provide ice axes, roped, micro spikes, gaiters etc. as required.
- Safety equipment – First aid, medical kit, oxygen cylinders, stretchers etc. will be available at all campsites to deal with emergencies.
- Services of an expert Trek Leader – All our trek leaders are qualified in basic / advanced mountaineering courses.
- Services of an expert Trek Team – The mountain staff on this trek consists of well trained guides, cooks, helpers and porters.
Here is what the trek fee excludes:
- Transport to and from the base camp – We will arrange shared taxis for trekkers to pick you up from Srinagar and drop you back from Naranag. This will cost approx. Rs. 2,300 per 5-6 seater vehicle one way. You will have to share this cost with the other trekkers
- Food during transit to and from the base camp – The trek fee does not include meals purchased during the journey to Sonamarg and return from Naranag.
- Backpack offloading charges – If you wish to offload your backpack, there will be an additional charge of Rs. 1,750 + 5% GST. The backpack cannot weigh more than 9 kg. Suitcases/strolleys/duffel bags will not be allowed. Please note that charges will vary for last minute offloading in case you decide to offload your bag after reaching Sonamarg (Rs. 350 per day inclusive of taxes). Online offloading in advance is possible up to two days prior to the trek start date.
- Stay at Srinagar on the last day
- Personal expenses of any kind
- Anything apart from inclusions
Terms & Conditions
1. Cancellation: If a trek is called off at the last moment due to a natural calamity/unforeseen circumstances (like rains, earthquake, landslides, strike, bandh etc), can issue a trek voucher for the full amount. The voucher can be redeemed for the same trek or another trek in the next one year.
In case, you wish to cancel your trek, please login to your account and cancel. Cancellation requests will not be taken over phone or email.
The cancellation charges are as under:
Cancellations prior to 30 days from the start of the trek — full refund.
Cancellation between 30 days and 20 days to the start of the trek — 50% refund.
Cancellation less than 20 days to the start of the trek — no refund.
Please note: In case of refund, there will be a deduction of 4% (cancellation charges) from the total fee you have paid. Also, if you have opted for a trek insurance, the amount will not be refunded.
2. The trek fee: Includes all price from the start of the trek at Sonamarg to the tip of the trek at Narang.
3. Pick up: Trekkers area unit picked up from the TRC (Tourist Reception Centre, metric capacity unit Lake) by a combine of.00 pm. devour selections unit of measurement on the market from the airport additionally. Usually, trekkers unit clubbed at the side of different participants to make a bunch. The cluster travels to all-time low camp on in shared cabs.
4. Transport: The worth of transport from Srinagar to Sonamarg and are available back from Narnag to Srinagar ought to be borne by the somebody and paid on to the driver. The transport is organized through native operators in shared cabs. Each shared cab costs around Rs. 2,300/- a way. Trekkers unit of measurement expected to share the value likewise.
Note: simply just in case you’re doing not want the devour, please enable United States of America to apprehend a minimum of twenty days earlier.
5. Backpack carrying: Expects all trekkers to carry their own backpacks. All common gear ar aiming to be carried by the support team. If for a number of reason somebody is unable to carry his or her backpack, he/she can offload the same by paying an additional charge.
Backpack offloading charge for the whole trek amount is Rs. 1,750 and ball GST. Partial offloading isn’t allowed. Charges for immediate on slope offloading are aiming to be Rs.350 per day comprehensive of tax. The backpack cannot weigh over 9 weight unit. No suitcases/duffel baggage are aiming to be allowed.
Online offloading earlier is possible up to two days before the trek begin date.
6. Emergency during trek: In a passing trek a medical emergency or the opposite emergency may arise. If for any reason are sent down from the trek then will produce arrangements for come to all-time low camp or nearest road head. An employees will accompany. He won’t be a trained personnel.
Evacuation or addressing emergencies is very difficult at intervals the mountains. It is time overwhelming in addition. A conventional trek of 2 hours may take half-dozen hours in an in Nursing emergency individual is not easy to evacuate). Doctors do not go in conjunction with a team. Doctors are not on the market at all-time low camp or nearest road head either. Trek leaders unit of measurement trained to administer aid and skills to handle issues related to the mountains. However, they don’t seem to be doctors.
Registering for this trek is a perceiving that simply just have scan knowing the difficulties of high altitude trekking and perceive the risks. Have got to boot understood what AMS, HAPE and HACE unit of measurement. Have got taken efforts to show yourself an are in a passing position to manage own altitude connected emergency.
7. Fitness: A high altitude trek at intervals mountain range Mountains wants vital fitness. Your body should train itself to methodology extra work with lower levels of gas. Therefore, on treks, vessel work is critically very important. You’d wish to be ready to jog a distance of 4.5 metric linear unit in thirty minutes before begin of the trek. Unable to undertake to thus can produce your trek difficult. To boot, preparation of trek should embrace strength and suppleness work. Registering for the trek is Associate in Nursing understanding that you that you simply that you simply} just can undertake the mandated fitness work. Trekkers global organization agency haven’t adequately prepared may conjointly be asked to discontinue the trek at any purpose. Has the right to reject candidate’s global organization agency don’t meet our eligibility demand at all-time low camp.
8. Non-liability: Anyone is not responsible for any loss/damage of your gears/equipment or other belongings on the trek.
9. Payment: Payment for the trek can be done online through credit/debit card or net banking. Cheque/draft or cash is not accepted.
10. Drinking and smoking: Throughout the trek is strictly prohibited. If found flouting the principles, your participation on the trek are aiming to be off with immediate impact.
11. Safety Protocol:
a. while whereas itineraries area unit designed to allow for adequate adaptation, most treks in Indian mountain range climb quickly, and that’s named forced accents. Inconvenience of camp sites and conjointly the Indian chain of mountains tract area unit the explanation for this. There are a unit chances just will feel the results of drive and gas deprivation whereas on this trek. Please bear in mind that trek leader may regard it unsafe for to continue trekking at any time, and organize for descend to a lower angle.
b. Trek leaders will conduct routine health checks in any respect camps to measure gas saturation, pulse and force per unit space. Reserves the right to exclude any somebody from rise higher on the trek whereas not refund if the trekker’s vital readings unit of measurement below accepted norms for that altitude. These norms unit of measurement on the market with trek leade
c. This often a high altitude trek with rough, rocky and snowy tract. It is important simply that unit of measurement a match and warranted walker in mountain tract, ready to manage ascents associated descents by yourself at intervals an inexpensive time. Reserves the right to point out around somebody if at intervals the opinion of trek leader they’re unable to complete the itinerary whereas not requiring exclusive facilitate. Please realistically self-assess fitness and suitability for this trek before registering.